Atlas No 700 Toolroom Taper Attachment Parts Dimensions

Atlas 700 is the part or model number of the earlier Atlas Taper Attachment. As made, it fit the Atlas 9", all models of the Atlas 10" and any model of the Craftsman 12" at the time. According to the Logan manual, the rear edge of the bed is a flat way, which supports the rear of the saddle. However, the rear of the Atlas rear way that the fixed part of the taper attachment mounted on was 3/8" tall. From the drawings in the Logan manual, the rear flat way is probably thicker than that. So the left and right clamps will probably have to be modified.

Also, if I recall correctly, the Logan taper attachment included a different cross slide that the movable part of the taper attachment attached to. The standard Logan cross slide had an integral chip guard whereas the ones on the three Atlas machines were removable. Never having seen the Logan, I don't know what NoahNN will have to do there.

If he is asking specifically about a "Taper Attachment" made for an Atlas 700 that has been adapted to fit a Logan lathe as I believe he is then, Would the ways matter considering the taper attachment does not mount to them (at least i dont believe they do which is why im asking!) Im also assuming that Noahs logan lathe has a carriage made for that lathe. Anyway could you help clear this up for me please? Thanks

I was told the model # of the taper attachment was "700" but I don't know because I am brand new to machine work. Thank you for replying!

You would probably need to make a new clamp for the bed, I believe the Logan has v ways, the Atlas is flat. You would probably need adapters to attach both the body to the carriage and the arm to the cross slide.
Sounds about right, thank you for replying!

Atlas did make a No. 700 taper attachment that they called a "Tool Room". Beginning in 1939, they also made a less expensive No. 760. Attached is a one-page PDF that shows both of them.

Attachments

• Atlas Catalog 1939 Taper Attachments 700 760.pdf
    1,003.7 KB · Views: 26
By the way, the 12" lathe I have is the "Commercial" one, which means it has 1/2" ways instead of the usual 3/8" ways, so I had to make the clamp completely different from the stock one.

Back