• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.
  • PLEASE: Read the FORUM RULES BEFORE registering!

Atlas Mill MF parts compatibility

Like what you see?
Click here to donate to this forum and upgrade your account!

Dgleavitt

Steel
Registered Member
Hi, I I already posted this question in the help section but I was unaware there was a dedicated Atlas forum.

I recently acquired an Atlas MF mill and it is missing the rear gear cover and change O-Matic gears. EBay has these parts but they are listed for a MFC mill with the suffix “A“ after the part number.

My question is will part number MF-28A fit on a MF mill that calls for the part number MF-28?

Thanks
Andrew

CluelessNewB

Active Resistor
H-M Supporter-Premium Member
I can't say for sure but the manual says that the MF-28A is for MFC only.

MF28A.PNG

wa5cab

Downloads Moderator
Staff member
I don't know either. But would bet not.

Incidentally, what is the serial number on your mill. Or if the nameplate is missing, do your spindle cone pulley and countershaft cone pulley have 4 steps or 3. If 3, you have an MFA.

Dgleavitt

Steel
Registered Member
All the holes are In the same dimensional positions for the MF mill as compared to the MFC drawing I was sent By Clausing. I’m going to go for it and hopefully it works out.

wa5cab

Downloads Moderator
Staff member
OK. And the pulley steps?

Dgleavitt

Steel
Registered Member
I’ll have to look when I get home tonight(2nd shift) but I was pretty sure there were only 3 speeds listed without the back gear. Could be wrong though. Would the badge say? All it says if MF. Also, I’m wondering if someone changed the knee, there is a gear rack running vertically(not used) like it should be lever fed, but it’s adjusted by a hand wheel.

wa5cab

Downloads Moderator
Staff member
OK. Then it is an MFA. Apparently, Atlas didn't decide to call the 12 speed machines M1A, MFA or MHA until they went to the 8-speed MFB. I could name several other things where the manufacturer did something like that. No one has ever reported having an MFA that didn't have just MF on the nameplate. According to the MMB-5, the change occurred at serial number 001345 and went up through 005465.

On the vertical rack, yours is at least the second MFA reported to have the MFH's vertical lift rack installed. Unfortunately I didn't record the serial number. Could have happened during some order shuffling at the factory. I can't think of any reason where it would have been cheaper to put it on all mills.

5 7