Atlas mill home at last

These are some of the pictures that I think were lost when the sever reset.

atlasMill4 002.JPG atlasMill5 001 (1).JPG atlasMill5 001.JPG atlasMill5 004.JPG

Are you talking about the guards for this atlas milling machine? Yes I would be intrested,Please send me pictures!!! ALso i will try to repost the lost picutes and submit a new update tonight as I almost have the knee off finally!

This is my machine, note the attached guards I speak of. The overarm cover/guard is not in the pictures but I have it too.

MY LITTLE HORIZONTAL/VERTICLE ATLAS MILLING MACHINE
100_0026.jpg
100_0027.jpg

Alright here are the pictures of the mill after I got the knee off.If you notice the arbor is still on so if anyone has any ideas about how to get that off let me know.

mill6 001.JPG mill6 002.JPG mill6 003.JPG mill6 004.JPG mill6 006.JPG

Robert,

There should be a drawbar running through the spindle from the rear, and screwed into the arbor. If there is and if it is original it will have a long hex head on the back end. The spindle nose is 2MT and the drawbar serves two purposes. First, it prevents the arbor or tool holder from coming loose in the taper. Second, you loosen it two or three turns and tap on the back end of it to break loose the arbor or holder. There was also a retainer that screwed onto the spindle nose but as best I can tell from the small scale photos there isn't one present. The nose of the drawbar is threaded 3/8-16 UNC. If you don't have one, you need to get one. But you can temporarly substitute a length of 3/8-16 all thread and a couple of hex nuts.

Robert D.

Robert,

There should be a drawbar running through the spindle from the rear, and screwed into the arbor. If there is and if it is original it will have a long hex head on the back end. The spindle nose is 2MT and the drawbar serves two purposes. First, it prevents the arbor or tool holder from coming loose in the taper. Second, you loosen it two or three turns and tap on the back end of it to break loose the arbor or holder. There was also a retainer that screwed onto the spindle nose but as best I can tell from the small scale photos there isn't one present. The nose of the drawbar is threaded 3/8-16 UNC. If you don't have one, you need to get one. But you can temporarly substitute a length of 3/8-16 all thread and a couple of hex nuts.

Robert D.

Oh my, I thought he had already tried driving it out with the drawbar bolt. That would work so much better still mounted in the machine......

Yes I have a drawbar and have tried tapping it out,but I havent made any progress.I put some more oil in through the back and all around the base of the arbor,gonna let that soak in and try tapping on it some more.

Yes I have a drawbar and have tried tapping it out,but I havent made any progress.I put some more oil in through the back and all around the base of the arbor,gonna let that soak in and try tapping on it some more.

it might take a few generous blows to get her moving on out!

Sorry. Since you didn't mention the drawbar when you asked about getting the arbor out I assumed it was MIA.

Besides penetrating oil, one other thing you might try if there is enough room is to use a 3-jaw puller to pretension the drawbar. You may need to chuck the drawbar in your lathe and cut a minimum center in the hex end to keep the puller centered.

And a bag of crushed dry ice wrapped around the arbor may help.

Robert D.

Back