Atlas Mhc Mill Rabbit Hole

Greg,

Yes, the spindle nose threads are right-hand. But...

Do NOT try to remove the arbor from the spindle taper by unscrewing the arbor driver. It is keyed to the arbor by the two 1/4" pins and before it ever starts to push on the arbor longitudinally, it would have to rotate the arbor in the taper at least half a turn. If you ever did get the thing apart by using that method, you would have ruined the driver, arbor and spindle. The drill is that first you remove the arbor. Then you remove the arbor driver.

Hey Gents,
Do any of you know the size difference (if any) between the 6"lathe counter shaft bracket and the Mill counter shaft bracket? I know they have different part numbers and while I was able to get a print for the bracket, I don't know what the dimensions are on the 6" lathe. Since I don't have one and there are a few for the lathe on ebay, I thought I might use a lathe one as a replacement if it fit.

I don't. You could probably get the drawings for the 6" parts from Clausing, unless they still have parts in stock. However, the main similarity between the 6" and the Mill countershafts is that they are both called countershafts. The mill countershaft bracket mounts horizontally to the side of the mill and the hanger assembly sticks straight up when the belts are tight and leans over toward the mill when they are slack. With the "B" variant (most common one) of the 6" equivalent the bracket mounts to the bench or to a bracket on the back of the stand and the bracket assembly with the pulleys hangs down. Plus it has a 4-step pulley whereas the hanger for the B and C model mills is a 2-step. I rather doubt, pulley steps aside, that you could make the lathe assembly work on the mill.

The earlier "A" variant found on most 101.07301 Craftsman machines is similar except that the bracket is much shorter and, with the lathe, it sticks straight up when the belts are tight. So it would be sticking straight out to the rear with tight belts. Download Atlas Mill Bulletin MMB-5 Rev5 and Atlas 06 618 Parts List 1950 Rev 2. Both are in DOWNLOADS.

There is a possibility that I may have some of the parts that you need. A couple of years ago, I bought an incomplete MFC in order to get the steel stand and drip pan for my MFA. I can't recall how much of the countershaft assembly was present. I will check tomorrow. I haven't the energy to go outside and do it tonight (actually, it's already tomorrow, but quite dark outside).

If you have the countershaft hanger that would be a great help. Also if you have the spindle and the bearings set up that be awesome too!

If you have the countershaft hanger that would be a great help. Also if you have the spindle and the bearings set up that be awesome too!

OK. I do NOT have either of the pulleys on the countershaft, or the countershaft spindle or collar. For drawings of what I do have, including the spindle, PM me your email address and I will send you an edited PDF from MMB-5 showing only the exact parts that I have that you need or might need.

Back