Atlas Mfc - Motor Pulley Size? Spindle Belt Size?

CluelessNewB

Active Resistor
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Does anyone know what the outside diameters of the two steps are on the motor pulley for an Atlas MFC mill. I believe the part number is 10-428 or M6-428.

Also does anyone know what the MFC spindle belt size is?

Thanks!

It appears that this pulley was also used on the 618 and maybe even the 10F lathe. The 10-428 may be just the reducing bushing rather than the pulley part number. I believe is M6-428 is the correct pulley part number.

Thanks for posting Rich. I have the same question.

Rich,

Unfortunately, I do not have the commercial part number for the MFC spindle belt. The motor belt is a 4L350 (Atlas part # L3-125, same as on the early 12" lathes).

The motor pulley on the MFB and MFC is a 10-428. This has a 5/8" ID hub. The 5/8"X1/2" reducing bushing is a commercial part and has no Atlas number. The same pulley but with 1/2" ID is 9-428. The OD's of the two pulley grooves are 4.390" and 1.930". Center-to-center distance between the two grooves is 0.625".

The motor pulley on the MF and MFA is an M6-428, same as on all of the Atlas built 6" lathes except for the MK2.

I'll call Clausing/Atlas on Monday and ask if they still carry the 9-428 or 10-428. I'll post what I learn here.

Actually I need that same pulley for my Craftsman 12x24 lathe. When I bought it from my neighbor many years ago it came without a pulley and I installed just a single sheave pulley that I had in the junk box.

If anyone is serious about making a 10-428, I have a machining drawing that one of the Yahoo members worked up and made one from. I haven't put it or any of the others back into Downloads because as Downloads currently exists, it would be pretty difficult to find anything, and uploads can currently only be done one file at a time. Would take roughly forever.

I might be interested in making one. I will try other options first. If I do try to make one I would probably try casting a rough shape first rather than turning from stock. I have a nice Baldor 3/4 hp 1725 3 phase motor looking for a job, it might be easier to pick an intermediate pulley ratio and use that with a VFD.

A pulley would be beyond my machining skills. I think that getting the grooves to the proper widths, angles and diameters (simultaneously) would be too great a challenge for me.

I'm thinking of purchasing two single-sheave pulleys of the needed diameters, turning down the raised boss on one, and bolting them together at their hubs. I could put a shaft through both of them and match drill the bolt hole pattern. http://www.electricmotorwarehouse.com/pulley/cat25.pdf

Last edited:
Back