Atlas MFC Knee Gears

Thanks! Seems yours is spaced on the right hand side also. Good to know!

Anyone know the dimensions for the spring and ball that go into the bull gear? M6-257 and M6-214. I found a 1/8 ball that seems to fit but no springs in the junk drawer do. Thanks. Also I wish I had given this thread a more general name. Hah.

I have M6-214 listed from Atlas as 1/8" ball so you should be good there. As for the spring, mine was pretty hokey when I pulled it apart so I ended up making a new one out of one I had on hand that was close. I just checked my notes, and foolishly I did not measure it (for such future reference) before I put it back in. Maybe someone else will come through on that dimension for you.

-frank

I have M6-214 listed from Atlas as 1/8" ball so you should be good there. As for the spring, mine was pretty hokey when I pulled it apart so I ended up making a new one out of one I had on hand that was close. I just checked my notes, and foolishly I did not measure it (for such future reference) before I put it back in. Maybe someone else will come through on that dimension for you.

-frank
Thanks!

Hey, you're in in luck. The part is the same as what was used on the 6" lathe bull gears, and I just happen to have a Craftsman one in pieces right now. So, snuck it out of the assembly and it measures:

Overall length is 0.270" uncompressed
It's kind of necked in the middle, so there's two diameters, 0.136" and 0.125"
There are about ten turns, and the wire diameter is 0.020"

Here's a pic.

-frank

image.jpeg

Hey, you're in in luck. The part is the same as what was used on the 6" lathe bull gears, and I just happen to have a Craftsman one in pieces right now. So, snuck it out of the assembly and it measures:

Overall length is 0.270" uncompressed
It's kind of necked in the middle, so there's two diameters, 0.136" and 0.125"
There are about ten turns, and the wire diameter is 0.020"

Here's a pic.

-frank

View attachment 241712
Ah interesting. Thanks for the specs!

Frank,

FYI, the M6- prefix means that the part so numbered was first used in the 618. If you look over the parts list for the mill, you will see a lot of parts beginning M1-, meaning that they were new to the system when Atlas built the mill, MF-, meaning they were only used on the mill with power feed, 9- or 10- meaning that they were first used on the 9" or 10" lathe, Ln (where n is 2 through 6) meaning early 12" and S7- meaning the Atlas shaper.

Yes, thanks for that. I was aware of the multiple uses of a part across different machines and the way you have it summarized here is a good reference bit to keep on hand.

-frank

I believe the "51" prefix parts were from the 12 3/4" drill press. (Handle and knob for the mill countershaft assembly).

OK. Thanks. I don't recall where or what but somewhere I saw a part from a table saw on one of the machine tools.

Back