Atlas MFC Knee Gears

greenman

Registered
Registered
I was wondering if anyone knows of a gear to replace the S7-60 helical gears in the knee? The ones in this MFC seem to have seen better days. Was also wondering what size the thrust bearing is supposed to be. This machine just had some brass washers. Thanks!

IMG_20170818_154601.jpg

Green,

I don't have any of the S7-60 gears, nor the specs on them. But I would suggest calling Clausing. They may still have them. If not, they can probably send you either a drawing or the specs.

Same on the M1-83 ball thrust bearing. It looks pretty much like the two 3-piece ones on the late 12" lead screw. Except that the M1-83 will be for a 3/8" shaft.

Phone # at Clausing is 800-323-0972 or 800-535-6553.

Unfortunate timing, I just put all the pieces of my knee back together and on the machine about three days ago. Could have easily measured the thrust bearing while it was apart.

-frank

Well I got in contact with Clausing and it seems those parts aren't available. I'll have to improvise or invest in some parts from eBay. Sadly I doubt there would be any resale value in a knee screw once I stripped the gear and bearing off it. Anyhow, thanks all.

Have you looked at Boston Gear? I wouldn't expect them to be cheap, but I just poked the helical gears section of their catalogue and I'm thinking with the existing ones you still have and the information they provide on how to measure them you may be able to find stock replacements. Might be worth looking into, at least you'd know how much new ones would cost.

-frank

I think it's possible a pair of their H1612R would fit. The originals are left hand but so long as they're a pair they'll work right? A little pricey but I suppose helix gears are less common than plain gears.

I see they also have the left hand version of that in an H1612L gear. I'm no gear expert by any stretch, but wouldn't you want to stay with the same left vs right as the original configuration? Otherwise the knee would go in the opposite direction wouldn't it?

-frank

GR,

Short answer to your question is yes. But the down side of changing the "handedness" is that the hand wheel rotation will be backwards to what would be expected for lifting the table. And the dial will run backwards. Both of which will promote errors. If they list H1612R, they should list 1612L. Both are shown in their catalog. Note that I am not confirming that H1612 is what the originals actually are, because I have no idea.

Note that helical gears aren't necessarily less common than spur or straight bevel gears. But they would probably be more expensive to make. And everything costs more today than you would think that it was going to. :eek:

Okay yes you are correct. It would run backward. An extra ten bucks a piece for the left hand. Oh well.

BTW, after Clausing told you that they no longer carried the gears, did you ask about a drawing?

Back