Atlas MFC Belt Won't Disengage

greenman

Registered
Registered
I've got a 4L350 on the motor pulleys. Doesn't seem to matter how much slack I give it, the belt always runs. It's supposed to slip when the lever is disengaged right?

Is there something I can put on the belt? Polish the pulleys?

Thanks.

Hi greenman,
there may be residual friction even with a slack belt.
it's worse on a new belt because of the increased grip of new rubber, to sufficiently drive the headstock.
i would suggest turning off the motor when making adjustments, lubricating, or taking the mill in and out of back gear and the problem is no longer a safety issue

also when shutting down the machine for the day, release the tension on the drive belt to prevent stretching and static form memory from the pulleys

Right. If you make it a practice to do anything on the mill while the motor is running other than cut metal, sooner or later you are going to lose a finger, hand or arm. Or worse. Think of it as a Darwin Award tester. The belt tension lever is NOT a clutch.

A slack belt can't consistently deliver enough smooth torque to do useful work. But it can usually deliver enough to cut off a finger or break an arm.

A slack belt can't consistently deliver enough smooth torque to do useful work. But it can usually deliver enough to cut off a finger or break an arm.
Yea I meant the workaround will just be shutting the machine off. I've worked on and around gas powered machinery so I do have some concept of safety. Usually.

Back