Atlas MF

I almost felt bad picking it up.... almost. Thanks for the links Tom! The teardown ones will be especially helpful.

If I found one for that price I wouldn't feel bad. I would just adjust my mask and run like hell with it.

Up front, if there is a bidding war going on I'll double the best bid up to several hundred bux. That was a heluva find at that price you paid. A man after my own heart, turning junk into junque to use. A bidding war should give you some insight into the value of such a machine. Not in dollars, in its' uses.

I rebuilt mine when I recieved it, even though it came out of use. Found several things that didn't "feel" right so I started a search for documentation. It's out there, just not openly. The thing to take note of, first. It ain"t a three HP Bridgeport. For small work it works beautifully. But beware the large...

The next is to get your hands on an angle plate. Anything else you might need can be made. As a small stationary bench machine, it only has one competitor, from Grizzly. And that one doesn't come even close to the Atlas. Just remember it hasn't been made for 50+ years.

What a great find, you lucky dog. Post lots of pictures and make us all jealous.

You should really drive yourself down to the nearest police station and turn yourself in for theft. The vise alone typically sells on ePay for about 20 times what you paid for the whole thing. It looks like you also have the indexing centers and what might be a rotary table. Lucky you! More pictures please!

First get yourself a spray can of Kroil or PBlaster or other good quality penetrating oil. Spray every fastener and let it soak in for a while. Don't force anything. Take lots of pictures as you disassemble. Take notes and draw diagrams of assemblies as you take stuff apart. Life interruptions may prevent you from getting back to your project for weeks or months so prepare to forget how things go back together. A collection of zip lock bags and a Sharpie pen are helpful in keeping parts and fasteners grouped together when you are taking stuff apart. Parts are available on eBay and some are even still available from Atlas but they aren't cheap so you don't want to break anything. Some of the fasteners are unique or at least hard to find so don't throw away anything until you are completely done with the project.

KROIL: http://www.kanolabs.com

Last edited:
Back