Atlas MF mill cleanup

I happen to have a litter box, what’s the process with oven cleaner? Just soak it?

Spray it on and let it sit for about 1/2 hour as I recall. Then you just wipe it off. I used lots of paper towels.

just picked up a gallon of smoke gray, looks nice. Should I use a primer first or direct onto the casting?

Electrolysis for the rust. Rustoleum Smoke Gray oil based enamel, brush or spray (my favorite.)

Welcome to Hobby Machinist!
I

I use a good quality primer when I repaint machines. It seems to make the top coat last longer and resist chipping.

On the larger pieces I use a heat gun to denature the paint, then it just scrapes off with a putty knife, Saves a lot of chemicals - you still need some paint stripper, just a lot less. When I get started on my tool and cutter grinder i'll post pics of the process...

Mr Pete22 (tubalcain on youtube) did a test with electrolysis compared to just soaking the part in vinegar. I think the results were pretty much the same. But you can confirm by checking out the videos. I think next time I do this I will just buy a couple of gallons of vinegar, which is an acid, and not bother with electricity, anodes, washing soda etc. You might leave it for 2 or 3 days, but so what - you can find other stuff to work on during that time.

Mr Pete22 (tubalcain on youtube) did a test with electrolysis compared to just soaking the part in vinegar. I think the results were pretty much the same. But you can confirm by checking out the videos. I think next time I do this I will just buy a couple of gallons of vinegar, which is an acid, and not bother with electricity, anodes, washing soda etc. You might leave it for 2 or 3 days, but so what - you can find other stuff to work on during that time.
I thought Mr. Pete222's tests and videos on rust removal were poorly done. YMMV.

I for one like the hammered paint finish. In gray or bronze would be my choice. In fact I have the same mill in my shop waiting for me to work on. But I'm on a journey to get out of pain. Really hoping surgery will help.

I like hammered to, but I already bought way too much smoke gray. I have had no time to work on this yet but I’ll get around to it eventually

Back