Atlas M F Horizonatal Mill Rebuild

Made a little more progress over the weekend.

Made a simple tool for pulling the bearing races from a 7/8" bolt, nut and a few washers-
A15.jpg

Here's the set up. Apply a little heat to the spindle housing and tighten the nut-
A16.jpg

Seems to work-
A17.jpg

Rear race is in rough shape, front is not to bad-
A18.jpg

Now for stripping the paint off of the head casting-
A19.jpg
Stripping paint is definitely my least favorite task!

15 minutes of waiting, some scraping and then clean up-
A20.jpg

Set up for painting in the driveway-
A21.jpg

Primer and 2 coats later, I'll add a couple more coats after the first two "cure" for a few of days-
A22.jpg

I have been doing the painting out in the sun on warm days. This really seems to make the paint smooth out nicely.

Next step is to track down a new set of spindle bearings, clean up all of the spindle drive parts and then begin reassembly.

Thanks for checking in!

there may be some #'s on the bearing cup and cone. those are timken tapered roller bearing part numbers .
you can take those numbers and order them from most bearing suppliers.
if you have any difficulty, i'd be happy to assist you in getting some.
great lil machines! :D

There are some numbers. I'll see what I can find out. Thanks.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Seems I'm a bit late to the party.. LOL..
You're doing a great job in your refurbish, it'll look brand new when you've finished! Good job on the "puller", slick setup.
I see Vince A. shared pics of the bearing he used and others have offered help should you need it.

A great group we've got right here!! Glad you're a part of it..

A little more progress today, ordered the new spindle bearings. The ones I removed are- Timken P/N's cup- 07196, bearing- 07087. About $70.00.

By the way, I found this machine in Southern Oregon, it came from an estate sale. My dear sweet wife and 3 dogs thought it would be a great opportunity for a cosmic road trip along the Oregon coast. Turned out to be a great trip. Here are the pictures I should have started with-

The machine as was-
A23.JPG

Every body likes a great pair of legs, right?-
A24.JPG

Original vice with handle-
A25.JPG

A dividing head from an unknown maker (any thoughts?)-
A26.JPG

And several boxes of odd and ends.

Thanks for checking in, More later.....

Wow, you got an original light, AND a original vise... WITH the handle/crank!

And then a index/dividing head WITH tail stock!! All sitting on top of those awesome legs.. And yes..

:you suck: :beer bottles:

you got one heck of a nice tooling package there, the dividing head may be worth it's weight in gold

My latest eBay find!

uploadfromtaptalk1467332161047.jpg

Yikes! My apologies for the sideways photo. Not sure how to rotate it. Still trying to figure out Tapatalk and my phone camera...

Anyway, the original cover is on top, the new one on the bottom. I am pretty sure the original (SN 00600) came with the 4 spool configuration and was changed to a 3 spool configuration at a later date. This being the case, I figured it was easier to replace the cover plate than the 4 spool drive.

Keep on Rockin Brothers and Sisters!

Steve

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator:
Back