Atlas lathe ID

gp427

Registered
Registered
D209C2E7-4CF8-4279-AA8B-D5101693BD02.jpeg
Any idea what I’ve got here? Can’t seem to find any data tags that give a model or serial number? There’s a patent date of 1933 on the threading chart.

See here.

See here.

Later model 936? Mine doesn’t look quite the same as the one pictured in the thread.
Later model 936? Mine doesn’t look quite the same as the one pictured in the thread.

There is no way to date it from the photograph alone as no changes are known to have been made during production. But the lathe is the original compound-drive (all belt drive) 9". I cannot see enough of the bed legs to say whether it was the Atlas or Craftsman badged version. And the resolution of the photograph is not good enough to read what's printed on the threading chart. So it could have been made between 1932 and about 1938. It is probably either a 936 or the Craftsman equivalent (Sears model numbers unknown).

There is no way to date it from the photograph alone as no changes are known to have been made during production. But the lathe is the original compound-drive (all belt drive) 9". I cannot see enough of the bed legs to say whether it was the Atlas or Craftsman badged version. And the resolution of the photograph is not good enough to read what's printed on the threading chart. So it could have been made between 1932 and about 1938. It is probably either a 936 or the Craftsman equivalent (Sears model numbers unknown).
Cool. Thanks for the heads up. My living situation is a bit tight right now, so I just wanted to start the ID process. One of these days I’ll pull it off the trailer in the garage and bring it inside. I paid $350 and it looks to be not too bad. I’m missing the change gears, but I got some tooling with it (live centers, hss cutting tools, a few carbide tools, etc.). How’d I do?

Pretty well. It would have been better had it had most of the change gears but it doesn't appear to have a lot of wear on the bed. And otherwise, it appears to be complete.

Look on the rear of the bed near the center and hidden by the carriage for a nameplate, or for the two holes that it was once mounted with.

To comment on another earlier comment to the effect that he had a 9" but that it didn't look like this one, Atlas made two different 9" versions. The first one was the compound (all belt) drive that came with model numbers of "9" plus the bed length, so 936, 942, 948 and 954. And the 918 Utility Lathe that came only as the 918 (9" swing and 18 inches between centers). The 918 could be had with a multi-step conventional countershaft (3 I think) or without, and you rigged up some sort of drive for it. None of the 9" had back gears.

Pretty well. It would have been better had it had most of the change gears but it doesn't appear to have a lot of wear on the bed. And otherwise, it appears to be complete.

Look on the rear of the bed near the center and hidden by the carriage for a nameplate, or for the two holes that it was once mounted with.

To comment on another earlier comment to the effect that he had a 9" but that it didn't look like this one, Atlas made two different 9" versions. The first one was the compound (all belt) drive that came with model numbers of "9" plus the bed length, so 936, 942, 948 and 954. And the 918 Utility Lathe that came only as the 918 (9" swing and 18 inches between centers). The 918 could be had with a multi-step conventional countershaft (3 I think) or without, and you rigged up some sort of drive for it. None of the 9" had back gears.
Luckily as far as the change gears I have someone that can print me a new set in glass or carbon filled nylon for a couple of bucks. Probably tougher or as tough as the zimac.

It also came with another chuck that has to be worth $30-40 anyway.

If the additional chuck is a three-jaw, unless it has 2-piece jaws it will need to have both sets of 3 jaws to be worth much. So 6 jaws.

Back