Atlas lathe 10-4800 milling vice attachment

carryon

Registered
Registered
A milling vice (10-502) from an Atlas TH42 has been offered to me for use with my Clausing 4800. This is also listed as an option on the original owners manual. It seems that a tapered post is needed on the compound where this will attach along with 2 hardened pins with tapered edges to secure it. My lathe does not have the tapered post on the compound as the cross slide is held by 2 nuts on its swivel face and no hardened pins. So my question is how can this milling vice still be securely attached to my compound without the tapered post or what is needed to make this work?
Thanks much, Tom

Last edited by a moderator:
OK so you are talking about a Clausing 4800, not an Atlas. As far as I know Atlas accessories won't fit, they have a different mount
You might be able to fab up something

The Clausing 4800 is a 12" lathe with a low-slung cross slide, so you could probably turn a pintle adapter that mates to the Atlas milling attachment on one side while bolting to the cross slide on the Clausing 4800 after removing the compound. There is enough room there to make it work, and the adapter part would simple to turn and drill. I think it can be done.

The Clausing 4800 is a 12" lathe with a low-slung cross slide, so you could probably turn a pintle adapter that mates to the Atlas milling attachment on one side while bolting to the cross slide on the 4800 after removing the compound. There is enough room there to make it work, and the adapter part would simple to turn and drill. I think it can be done.

I would give that a try once I'm up and running and have the piece in hand. So more to this thread as that comes about. Main concern is securing pintle adapter to the cross slide.

I would give that a try once I'm up and running and have the piece in hand. So more to this thread as that comes about. Main concern is securing pintle adapter to the cross slide.

Same way your compound slide bolts to the cross slide, just copy that interface on the bottom of the adapter and turn an Atlas pintle on the top. It looks like you have plenty of room to make it work in the space above the cross slide. The milling attachment just needs to be perpendicular to the bed and generally centered with the spindle at its vertical midpoint.

As mentioned in an earlier post, the 4800 is a Clausing lathe. So discussions to do with the 4800 should normally take place in the the Clausing forum, not the Atlas one. However I am not going to move the discussion to the other Forum as I think that the purpose has been served.

Last edited:
Back