Atlas Id Help

Superburban

Registered
Registered
This is for sale locally, trying to figure out a date, and specs. Looks like either a 9", or 12". I never saw this style head stock before. The rest definitely looks like an Atlas Craftsman.

Any help would be appreciated.

aaaaa.jpg

aaab.jpg

franken lathe? That is not an atlas headstock as far as I know.

It looks like it's a 12x24. The bed, tailstock, legs and QCGB appear to have originally been part of a 101.27430 (made from late 1950 or 51 until mid 1957). The headstock is off of something else.

I'm wondering if that is just a sheet metal cover over an original headstock.

Well, the seller finally got back to me, he says he thinks its a 6" swing, and 32" from headstock to the end of the bed, which could easily make it a 12" by 24". I'm leaning towards a headstock change, as adding a sheet metal cover would not do away with the reversing tumbler. By the two levers, I'm thinking it has a gearbox. But the seller says it is back in storage (less the 24 hrs after posting it on CL ?? ), and cannot easily get any more pics. Just as well, I really do not have the money to spare right now.

Thanks

The Brits would call it a 6" swing. US parlance is 12".

It's probably a geared head headstock off of some other 12", but what I couldn't say. Perusal of old Enco and other importer catalogs might eventually ID it.

I agree that saying it is "back in storage" is odd. From all of the stuff including a lamp on the wall behind it, that's clearly its operating position.

Back