Atlas Horizontal mill

I picked up an MFC for $330 back in December. Luckily I had a friend in Ma to pick it up and ship it to me, still waiting on it. I also picked up a vertical head that runs off of the arbor via a belt for $150
mfc1.jpg
mfc2.jpg

SCOOOOOOOOOORRRREEEEE......

Looks like it is in good shape too! Where abouts in MA did it come from? Perhaps it was in my backyard and I never knew!?!?

And a vertical head for 150 too?!? Some guys have all the luck

It came from Dartmouth. The guy even delivered it to my friend in Norton at no additional charge. I was the 3rd to win this bid. For some reason, the other 2 backed out.

I've since bought all of the guards (including the vanity guard over the arbor), and each of 7/8, 1, 1-1/4 arbors.

I should have a fairly complete setup now, just need some cutters.

Wow, it was in my backyard! I'm in New Bedford. There was some cutters in the Rhode Island C-List in the past couple weeks.
I've been able to find some up the cape and did well on the purchase. I still need a 1" arbor and spacers, I have the other two, but I was just give some round stock so maybe I'll make my own?
Maybe we can get together some weekend!

There is nothing wrong with using a 1-1/4" arbor on the Atlas mill. The ones that someone used to run on eBay appeared to be well made. But just for the record, the factory only supplied 7/8" and 1" ones. So if you have a bunch of 1-1/4" tooling and have the misfortune to damage the arbor such that it can't be repaired, you may have a difficult time replacing it. So I would recommend sticking with the other two in your tooling acquisitions unless you find a large assortment quite cheap.

That's where my 1.250 arbor came from, as he was closing his business he started going wholesale, so the arbor was some 60% of the original price and the spacers was by the bagfull.
He even tossed in some extra spacers just to clear his inventory. I should've ordered the 1" right then because he was sold out by the time I saved enough pennies.

Also, I have a two piece "bushing" that mounts a 1" id onto the 7/8"s arbor. Works well for thin tools, won't work on a shell or slab tool.

So back on December 23rd I posted that my mill broke one of the u-joints, last week I started to investigate and discovered, I had shot myself in the foot!

What I discovered was that I had previously tightened the table crank on the left side, and once I loosened that nut, the table handle & shaft spun freely! I haven't gone any further on that front - but I did start turning some stock to make a U-joint. I'll have to change one measurement from the "home made" print I grabbed from here. Since the broken joint is right at the drive box, the shaft o.d. is smaller than the driveshaft itself.

More to come.

That's where my 1.250 arbor came from, as he was closing his business he started going wholesale, so the arbor was some 60% of the original price and the spacers was by the bagfull.
He even tossed in some extra spacers just to clear his inventory. I should've ordered the 1" right then because he was sold out by the time I saved enough pennies.

Also, I have a two piece "bushing" that mounts a 1" id onto the 7/8"s arbor. Works well for thin tools, won't work on a shell or slab tool.

Wish I had known he was selling spacers by themselves. I would have bought some extra 7/8" and 1".

Atlas used to supply a shell mill holder. Mounted on the spindle like the arbor driver. I haven't seen one for sale on eBay or I would have bought it.

On his website, he was selling them originally by piece, then he was selling a bagful assortment of different sizes.
I guess I'll copy my 7/8" arbor but with 1" dimension and then figure out some spacers... or.... create a couple more bushings to adapt the 1" shell mills to the 7/8" arbor?!?!

We do have the factory drawing for the MF-27 U-Joint Yoke but it only shows drilling and reaming the pivot pin hole to 0.2500"/0.2505". And says that it is made from MF-26. All that we have on what I assume is MF-26 is several annotated photos. And the OP warns that the measurements might not be dead on.

Back