Atlas Horizontal mill

Vincent,

Next time that I need to call Clausing, I'll try to get a copy of the Atlas drawing. But if yours is an original, compare it to the rough drawing in Downloads and tell me what doesn't match. I'll fix it.

Robert D.

34-40,
When you say that it was 9/16" too long, do you mean the 3/8" diameter part? If so, I can edit the drawing and replace it.
Robert D.

The distance fom the tip of the threads to the shoulder, I had to shorten it to be able to draw a collet tight. V., if you could measure up yours.?.?.? That would be great!

I'm pretty sure my draw bar is original. It matches the illustration and description in the Atlas catalogs. But it looks a bit different than the drawing in the downloads file. In addition to the length being different, mine has a bearing. It also has a square end instead of a hex end. The square end is designed to be used with the S7-100 crank handle that is also used with the milling vise. Here are some photos of my draw bar:

029_zps6965494a.jpg

This is the bearing. It is a sliding fit on the bar:

030_zpsfd022e00.jpg

The end of the bar has a 3/8" square for tightening:

031_zps86ed6561.jpg

All I have to measure it with is a steel rule and a vernier caliper, so these aren't precise measurements but they should be close enough. The draw bar is 10-11/16" in overall length. With the bearing removed, the distance from the shoulder to the end of the threads is 6-11/16". The bearing is 1-1/8" long, so the distance from the end of the bearing shoulder to the end of the threads is 5-9/16". Let me know if you need more dimensions.

Vince

029_zps6965494a.jpg

030_zpsfd022e00.jpg

031_zps86ed6561.jpg

029_zps6965494a.jpg

030_zpsfd022e00.jpg

031_zps86ed6561.jpg

OK. I'm going to take the existing drawing down and try to get a copy from Clausing.

Robert D.

Been a long time since I've posted anything in this thread so I am happy to report that I did get a second arbor. Mine came with a 7/8" arbor only. I waited to long and toolsforcheap no longer carries the 1" but they had a couple of 1 1/4" arbor on special so I grabbed one of those along with a bagfull of spacers.

I also found a guy on c-list selling some cutting tools and went to look.. I did end up picking up some decent used cutters like a 3" long shell mill and some other slitting saws. For 20 bucks!
Then he shows me a pile of reamers all are mostly under 5/8" about 25 of them, says he wants 40 bucks for those but I wasn't interested at all..

So as I'm getting ready to leave, he says okay, how about 20 bucks for the reamers?!?!? I figured for that price, I couldn't go wrong.. so I brought those home also..

So I've been searching for a 1" arbor (for a reasonable price) but some must think theirs are made from gold! And last night a friend brings me a 8 foot length of 3" round bar. It was one of those tools for the forktruck at his workplace and since it wasn't load rated and accepted by osha, they had to cut it up! He grabbed it from the dumpster and figured I could make something from it! What a good friend!

Maybe there is an arbor inside of there?? LOL..

Hello to all.. went to use my mill last weekend - did the setup and all was well. Started the machine and engaged the autofeed - it made maybe a half rotation and "POP" broke the u-joint!

I turned the handle to move the table and it was very hard to turn. But during setup it was fine.

I haven't started to investigate, holiday approaching gets in the way.. but any thoughts to the problem? Things to look for??

Last edited:
Sorry to hear that. That's a real bummer. I seem to remember seeing a thread on this site or another one of someone making a new universal joint for their Atlas mill.

Yeah. Me also. Been searching just now.

Back