Atlas Horizontal mill

There's nothing wrong with using it first to see if you like it. No sense in putting a lot of work into it until you know that, especially if you have that Clausing mill standing by.

AWww.. who's kidding who! We both know it ain't ever leaving! :rofl:

In the pile'o'parts that came with it was a piece that I figured out must've been an attempt to make the table kick out device. It's a bit short so I started making a roller that mounts on the side but it doesn't work smoothly... I'll have another go at it later.

I have a bunch of tooling but I cannot see a logical way of mounting these, so I'll "just have to" tinker with it some more! :shush:

I've been thinking about building a Rotary table for mine. I did a CAD model of the one for the shaper from pictures on the internet and specs from the Atlas Catalog, I expect it's pretty close to the factory one. The base on the one for the mill is different, and more complex. I'd appreciate some close up pictures of it top and bottom, and measurements, if you've got the time.

Let me know if and when you're ready and what you'll require first. I'm thinking this could be a fun and educational task.

I spent a couple of hours making parts for a drawbar. I have an extra MT2 1/2" collet and it seems that the previous owner had many 1/2" arbors with different cutters attached. One thing that "bugs me" is the drawbar fastener is set down inside the machine. I didn't like that so I made up a bushing 3" long that brings the head of the drawbar up out of the machine. Once I finish it I'll share a pic.. (should it work as intended!):lmao:

Let me know if and when you're ready and what you'll require first. I'm thinking this could be a fun and educational task.

I have since purchased a complete and unmodified rotary table. I will still have to take some measurements and make a model, as I also purchased one for the mill that was modified for production work and will need a new rotating table made for it. So basically I have what I need to get the dimensions now, I just need to do it. Thanks for the offer, though.

I have since purchased a complete and unmodified rotary table. I will still have to take some measurements and make a model, as I also purchased one for the mill that was modified for production work and will need a new rotating table made for it. So basically I have what I need to get the dimensions now, I just need to do it. Thanks for the offer, though.

That's cool.. it could've been a learning experience. Maybe next time.:rubbinghands:

Got the drawbar just about done and tried it out, it works as expected.. so thanks to whomever created the drawing found in the downloads section here.
I did find the length about 9/16" to long, but that just might be the earlier machine vs. the older machine??

My fabbed kick-out worked as well!

So all in all a good day in my shop!

34-40,

I found a JPG of the drawing somewhere (and don't know who originally did it), cleaned it up as a TIF and then put it in Downloads as a PDF. But my MFA is still in the crate so I couldn't sanity check the dimensions. When you say that it was 9/16" too long, do you mean the 3/8" diameter part? If so, I can edit the drawing and replace it.

According to Atlas MMB-5, the spindle itself remained an M1-31 through all models (M1 through MHC). However, the gear guard did change. There were three, M1-28, MF-28 and MF-28A. The latter is only used on MFC. But I haven't yet looked into what changed.

Robert D.

Back