Atlas Horizontal mill

Neat,book mark it.Thanks 34 for the info----kroll

I'm not certain yet but.... I picked up a clausing vertical mill yesterday and may be selling the Atlas!

HMmmmm.. decision, decisions...:thinking:

Re: Atlas Horizontal mill and Link Belts

This isn't aimed at anyone in particular but I want to point out that just about every post I have ever read where someone was extolling the superiority of link belts over V-belts was written by someone who had replaced a hardened and worn-out 50 to 70 year old V-belt with a new link belt and found that it ran better. Surprise surprise! The fact is that a new link belt won't run any smoother or quieter than a new good quality V-belt and won't last as long. I don't know the exact figures but Link belts will have around 1/3 or 1/4 the load rating of an equivalent V-belt and will be much more prone to slippage, especially the smaller ones. They are also not reversible.

The link belt was originally marketed for emergency repair purposes. A factory with 40 different size belts in service might not want to stock spares for all of them as belts don't have an infinite shelf life. So they might be convinced to stock enough links to replace several of the longest belts in service. Also, if replacing a V-belt requires significant machine disassembly, the ability to get it back up and temporarily running more quickly in order to finish a job that was on it would be a selling point. But outside of those two points, link-belts have no other ones in their favor and several not in their favor.
NOMEX ON! :))

Robert D.

I have always used the right belt for the job instead of the 'one size fits all' link belts for the very reasons that you brought up, Robert. I will not even attempt to use one as the secondary drive on my drill press or on my Clausing mill, there is just too much tension on the belt when gearing way down into the slower speeds, where you need the best power transfer that you can get.

I don't keep extras on hand either. My drill press is 20 years old and is still using the original belts. My lathe has a new vee belt for its primary drive, but uses a flat belt for the secondary drive. My Clausing mill received new belts when I bought it two years ago. I do keep a list of belt sizes, lengths, and standard belt numbers on hand though. Easy enough to look up when I do need one, and they can all be purchased at the local hardware store except for the flat belt for the lathe.

Sorry guys, I'm just not sold on the link belts, especially at what they cost compared to the proper belt for the machine.

Re: Atlas Horizontal mill and Link Belts

The fact is that a new link belt won't run any smoother or quieter than a new good quality V-belt and won't last as long.
I don't find that to be the case, I don't know about the lifespan but they for sure reduce vibration (even compared to new V-Belts). There is no single cord running through the belt.

That's primarily because they are stretchy. If you have an out of balance pulley or worn out bearings on your countershaft or an out of balance motor, a V-belt will in fact transfer some of the vibration to the next stage. But you should fix the problem properly, not apply a BandAid.

Robert D.

I don't know about the vibration part but as for how long they last mine is 25 yrs old and still looks like new I would say that is as good or better than a V belt. And mine gets used a lot so I don't really buy that. Ray

I'm also not a fan of the link belts. I've used them on a few pieces of woodworking equipment, mostly because years ago they were hyped up in all the woodworking magazines as being so great. But I think they are much noisier than standard V-belts. As far as reducing vibration -- I think they just mask it. Replacing bearings and worn out parts and making sure pulleys are aligned is a better way to deal with vibration, in my opinion.

The link belts are bulkier than standard belts so if you run one on an Atlas lathe, there can be issues with the belt rubbing on the inside of the belt guard. The material used in link belts is also somewhat abrasive and they wear out the zamak pulleys faster than rubber v-belts. The only real advantage I see to the link belts is that you don't have to pull the headstock spindle to replace the belt. But honestly, if you're replacing a worn out, 50-year-old rubber V-belt, it's probably a good idea to pull the spindle out to inspect the bearings anyway.

I know a lot of people really like the link belts and if they are getting good results from them, then there's no reason to change. I just don't happen to be one of them.

It has been quite a while since I've done much but today I did set the motor back onto the mill and replaced the wires for the motor and flipped the switch and it works. :rofl:

I started making a small bench to set it on also. Still need to come up with the belt sizes if anyone has'em I'd appreciate the info! :talktogod:

The parts breakdown shows them as MI-57A and MI-58A I believe... Still much cleaning (and learning) to do but we're closer! This machine doesn't take up much room and it looks good next to the 8520 Clausing! LOL.. Maybe I'll just hang onto it!.. :makingdecision:

I was all excited to report the little MFC made chips yesterday! But I see some others have done so much more with their Atlas Mills this week.. :lmao:

I really wanted to evaluate for myself what this mill sounded/felt like before I made some decision about it's future. So I only figured I'd at least get it running as a working unit is worth more than a static piece.

So I went to Harbor Freight, a 40 minute trip, and for 24 bucks got a 1/2" link belt. After letting the shop warm up for 3 hours ( got it to 58!) I went at it.

I made up the belt and began short runs and testing things and what the levers did etc. etc. I setup the arbor with a 5/32 cutter and clamped a piece of aluminum to the table and let her go. It runs really smooth and quiet! Made a small pile of chips and the best cut depth was .050 and the .006 feed. any faster and the link belt slips.

One thing I figured out was the link-belt doesn't allow for swapping between the pulleys, it's to thick to get easily between the mount and the pulley.

So I made some progress.. I think I'll explore the machine some more and watch how you guys get'em pretty! :rubbinghands:

Back