Atlas Horizontal mill

I had an atlas mill and was able to make lots of cuts on it. made a vert. head attachment for it by attaching a pulley to the horizontal spindle and use a v belt setup like a corvair cooling fan setup made a good small vert. machine bill

no mine was totally self designed and self built it used the existing spindle for speeds and #2 mt collets with a 3/8" drawbar. wheel bearings for the spindle. worked well bill

Sounds pretty cool. Wish you had a picture.
But it sounds like the Marvin style.

That is the way that the Marvin was powered (off of the mill's spindle with a V-belt). However, the Marvin didn't have a 2MT taper in the spindle nose. Joel at MyMachineShop.com has built some "Marvin replicas" except that they are available with 2MT, 3MT and if I recall correctly R8 spindles. Otherwise they are very similar to the Marvins except that they don't come with a belt cover. I bought one of the 2MT versions and find it quite well made. Their only real drawback is that they do not have a quill. But adding that would probably have pushed the cost over $1000 if it was doable at all.

Wouldn't taking an old quill from a drill press work. Not super strong but may be doable.

Wouldn't taking an old quill from a drill press work. Not super strong but may be doable.

It could work I suppose. A Jacobs type chuck wouldn't be desirable I think.. but from what I see on this forum of guys using drill presses and X/Y tables to do milling.
It can work if you take very minor cuts and are patient. I think it would be easier to raise the table into the cutter. But I've never tried it on an Atlas HM.

You can get the quill with a 2 or 3 morse taper , I would think it could be cross drilled to pin the taper , and with er collets wouldn't that about do it up . Still would need light cuts but there not that strong anyway. If I ever come a cross one ill try it.

Most 2MT spindle drill presses have pretty light spindles. Plus if you are building a vertical attachment to sell, you want to be sure of your parts supply.

Sigh.. well. I've gone and done it again. I've broken another U-Joint to table drive. I was using the whole length of the table and had successfully made the same travel 3 times but I guess I had made some manual turns enough to clear and start the auto feed without any troubles. This one pass for whatever reason when I engaged the autodrive, it made perhaps a half rotation and bound up and cause the joint to fail.

I'm certainly glad the joint failed and not the gearbox but it was monotonous making the last couple cuts completely by hand. So my next project will be whipping up a couple joint halfs.

Back