Atlas/Craftsman Serial Numbers and Bearing Dates (if applicable) For Database Entries

Thanks. The bearing dates are consistent with the serial number. And probably with it having the Pick-o-matic. The one parts manual that we have a copy or that includes the Pick-o-matic is Lathe Bulletin 10L-1A dated January 1946. So there must have been a 10L-1 in 1945 (which if it is illustrated will be the first illustrated one known). It would be interesting to know whether or not it included the Pick-o-matic when purchased or whether that was added. If you acquired a parts manual with the lathe, give me the date and number.

Five questions, and some optionals:

1) Do you recall which bearing had which date?
2) Do you recall anything else being engraved on either bearing? Such as the numeral 3?
3) Is the serial number on the right end of the front way or on the nameplate?
4) Is the nameplate on the rear or on the right end of the bed?
5) Is there anything else stamped on the bed near the serial number or engraved or stamped on the nameplate? Such as the letter P for Pick-o-matic?

The database has places for:

Where/From whom/When/How much paid?
Accessories acquired with it.
Accessories added later
Comments on general condition as acquired.
Current general condition and what you've done to it.
Any other comments you wish to make,

All of these are optional.

I used to get out to San Antonio several times a year when my wife's parents were alive. Have you had any trouble out of Harvey? We've been lucky. Except for the test run Friday afternoon, I haven't had to run the generator. And so far no water in the house.

Hello Robert,
Thank you for your quick response. Unfortunately, I didn't get a manual with the lathe or any kind of literature about it. But, to answer your questions :
1.Chuck side bearing dates 6/19/44
Gear side bearing dates 10/25/44
2. Yes, there is a 3 engraved on the bearings /races.
3. Serial number on nameplate.
4. Nameplate on right end of bed.
5. There is nothing else stamped on the bed or anywhere else I can see.
As for harvey ,San Antonio fared really well. As for all my fellow Texans on the Gulf Coast just keep em in prayer.
Thank you James A.

Does a model number specify the bed length or could there be multiple bed lengths under the same model number? Specifically, found a 101-28990 with s/n 106697 and I can't tell the bed length from the pics. The ways are trashed, but if it's got a good under drive cabinet that I'd love to put my 54" on if it would fit.

NC,

To cover your specific model # question, yes. The 101.28990 is a 12x36 and has a 54" bed. So whatever model you have, it will fit on top of the cabinet. However, only three other model numbers can hook up to the underdrive without modification. These are the other three cabinet models, 101.28950 12x24, 101.28970 12x36, 101.28980 12x24. And all of these are already cabinet models.

I don't have time right now to write up all of the in's and out's of what you will need if you have any of the 15 or 20 possible other models but if you will give your model number, I'll tell you whether or not there are enough parts on the cabinet model 101.28990 to convert yours to cabinet. I have to also do some parts list research as this question never came up before. And my lunch is getting cold.

My "good" machine is a 28910. The 28990 is cheap enough that I plan to pick it up just for parts I need for my other 3 machines....and to sell whatever's left over. I was planning to trying to sell the cabinet but then it dawned on me that if I could swap my shop-built table for the cabinet, I'd probably be happier in the long run...if it will swap. My 28910 is in extremely good shape. The 28990 looks pretty beat in the pictures, but I need a bunch of "non wear" items from it to complete the restoration on my TH48 and I'll probably come out ahead vs. buying parts individually on ebay.

This is a pic of the donor machine.

s-l1600.jpg

NC,

OK. The 101.28910 has most of the same parts as the 101.28990. Including the same basic headstock. You will need to pull the two spindles and transfer the two-groove pulley on the 28990 to yours. Instructions for disassembly and reassembly of the headstock are in the Atlas Technical Bulletin on the late 12" which you will find in the DOWNLOADS Category named "A/C Lathe Repairs & Tech Bulletins". The filename actually says Back Gears but it covers the entire headstock. Swapping the pulleys and the belt covers is all that you have to do in order to drop your lathe onto the under drive cabinet. I recommend that you call Clausing and order four new rubber bushings/seals to go under the legs. You should also replace the two belts while you have the spindle and back gears out. The belts are A42's. Do NOT use link belts. You can buy the belts locally but as you need to order the seals may as well get them from Clausing. They may cost a little more but you are going to pay UPS shipping rate for the seals anyway. At the cost of petrol today, you won't say any money buying them local.

For removing and re-installing the spindle, I recommend making a puller-installer set from 3/4" all-thread, coupling nuts (long pattern nuts) and some steel mechanical tubing pf appropriate ID and OD. Plus a stepped disk with center hole to support the puller nut.

Also, when putting your machine on the cabinet, pay close attention to the relative position of the pulley grooves and belt relative to the ends of the cutout in the drip pan and cabinet top to clear the drive belts. Mine came misaligned from the factory with the right belt rubbing on the right end of the slot. The belt lasted about three weeks.

There may be one additional socket head cap screw attaching the 101.28990 headstock to the bed than there is on your 101.28910, To find it, lift the belt cover and look down in the vicinity of the left belt just inside the front wall of the headstock casting. That was apparently added during production of the final versions but didn't show up in the parts drawing of the headstock. There are also two bolts up under the left end of the headstock attaching the casting to the bed. These are not shown in most parts lists.

While in DOWNLOADS, go to the Atlas Lathe Manuals sub-category and download the 3996 manual. I have done a lot of editing of it. Mostly cosmetic but also fixed several errors and omissions in the original. Including that screw. The PDF is now at Rev6. If you don't already have it, also download the manual on your original machine from the Craftsman Lathe Manuals sub-category. And download the Craftsman

Also, if you don't already have it, buy a copy of the Atlas Manual of Lathe Operation (AKA MOLO), any black cover edition dated 1967 Twenty-Third Edition or later.

NOTE: The following two paragraphs apply to the 101.28940 and not to the 101.28910...

I would also transfer the improvements that Atlas made to the final version from the 28990 to the 28910. If you do, I would also transfer the nameplate. Improvements consisted of the slip clutch on the left end of the lead screw (and a new right lead screw bearing) (Instructions for adjusting the clutch are in the 3996 manual (and other places)). And the lever operator for the power cross feed. If your lead screw is less worn that the one on the donor, you can modify yours to fit. You will also need to transfer the cross feed selector gear shaft. Because of the detent ball and spring, you will need to drop the apron off of the saddle, too. I think that having done that, you can make the swap without removing the carriage from the bed. While you have the aprons off, examine the key in the bevel gear that is driven by the slot in the lead screw for excessive wear.

If you decide to do the modifications to your lead screw yourself, you will need to rig up some sort of bearing to support the left end of the leadscrew and keep it from whipping around while machining the other end. And also to support the weight. A 1/2" ID self aligning pillow block bearing on some sort of stand should work. If you have a wood working table saw, you may have an adjustable height in feed/out feed adjustable height roller stand that will probably work with minor mods.

Last edited:
My 28910 has a clutch on the screw. Is the clutch on the 28990 an improved version or something?

No. Sorry, I keep forgetting that although Atlas appears to have never done so, Sears was bad about using lower numbers on later version equipment. 101.28900 & 101.28910 are newer than 101.28930 & 101.28940 instead of the other way around.. Another good bad example is 101.21200 is newer than 101.21400 (6" MK2 and 6" MK1). The only thing that you shoiuld need to change will be the spindle pulley and the belt cover and bracket (and the nameplate, or part of it).

Awesome. Hopefully I'll pick up the 28990 this weekend and can assess it's condition. Although I'm not real excited about having to pull the spindle (twice!), it's good to know that's all it needs to make it work. Hopefully the cabinet and associated parts are in serviceable condition.

Back