Atlas/Craftsman Serial Numbers and Bearing Dates (if applicable) For Database Entries

I have two Atlas lathes. The older one's serial no. is D1215 no s pat. date on guard and square house type on off switch is May 16 1933. It has the zamak cross slide the compound has been brazed back together. I'm going to retrofit to the newer post type cross slide way too much flex in the zamak one. the newer one is ser. V 11603 S. The history on it is my better half's grandfather purchased it new and used it in his auto repair shop in north Mo. until he closed it and went to work at Mac. in Stl. in the late 50's or early 60's. This is the lathe that I learned what not to do on! Will try to post picture's when I get the how too's of that figured out.

Thanks. The serial number on the older one is the lowest number so far reported. Additional information needed is:
Bed Length.
Confirm that it has babbit spindle bearings.
Confirm that it has a Vertical countershaft like the newer one.
Confirm that it has a fabricated instead of cast change gear guard.
Confirm that name plate with model number is missing, or if present, give information printed thereon.

Confirm (or mention discrepancies) that it looks like the photo below from 1935 Catalog No. 15. Including shape of the tailstock (the top part is cylindrical instead of larger in the middle than at either end).

Atlas 1042 Circa 1935.jpg

FWIW, I would guess that it was made in 1935. According to catalog photos, the same switch box had been used on earlier machines, including the 9".

Also see next post.

Last edited:
Need the same information for Ser. V 11603 S. Except it is probably a 10F with ON-OFF switch mounted in headstock. So say whether the removable plate that the switch is actually mounted on is oval or rectangular.

Ok, Bed length is 42" babbit headstock vertical countershaft fabricated guard(missing the end plate) name plate not found on back of bed frame number cast into near inside bed frame is 942 it has the older round taiulstock and Zamak crossslide. The 11603 S has a oval switch plate. On the end of the near rail a square is stamped into it(not top or back it is on the end. It is a 10x54. I have 2 other craftsman lathes. the 1st one is a12x36 serial 9856 S craftsman 101 07383 tumbler reverser and one piece saddle with standard post on crossslide 3/4 lead screw. The switch hole is rectangular. The other one is in storage at a friends house I believe it's a 12x54 I don't recall all of the details Hopefully I can get it home in the near future. Thank You for all of your help and information. Otis

Last edited:
Thanks. 942 (for 24 inches between centers), 9-1 (18"), 948 (30") and 954 (36") were the bed casting part numbers apparently all the way from 1933 through 1957. The part numbers 942, 942A and 942B were the finished bed part numbers. The only difference appears to have been the holes drilled and tapped to attach the legs of which there were three styles on Atlas 9" and 10" plus one additional on Craftsman 9". So they must all have used the same casting.

FYI, conventionally, nnXmm is the shorthand way of describing the size of a lathe. "nn" would be the swing (6", 10", 12", etc.). For the Atlas and/or Atlas/Craftsman 9", 10" and early 12" lathes, mm would be 18, 24, 30 or 36. For whatever reason, Atlas used the bed length rather than the distance between centers in their 6" and 10" part numbers. With the 9". they actually did it both ways. Both the 918 and the 936 are 9X18 machines. So when you say that the 101.07383 is a 12X36 do you mean that it has a 54" bed? Or it is really a 12X18 and has a 36" bed? There isn't any 12X54. It would have had to have a 72" long bed.

Also, the 101.07383 originally shipped with a 5/8" diameter lead screw and a one piece carriage saddle and apron casting, same as on the 10D. The 10F and the 101.07403 had 3/4" lead screws and two-piece carriage castings. Could you re-check the lead screw diameter? A number of people have replaced the original 5/8" lead screws and one-piece carriages on 101.07383 with 3/4" and two-piece in order to get power cross feed. But I don't recall anyone reporting changing only the lead screw. I guess that it would work, so long as they also changed the half nuts and right lead screw bearing. The half nut guide is the same in both cases.

And do you mean that switch hole is rectangular or switch plate is rectangular?

Hi Robert D., I have a 10" Atlas TH48 with a QuickChange Gearbox; S/N: 044495. I replaced the Timken Bearings when I got it but saved them because of the dates inscribed on them. The first is 12-11-42 and the second is 1-2-43. Seems to be a Chrismas/New Year's machine.
Jonathan.

Thanks. We have a cluster of three machines with bearing dates between 23 DEC 42 and 02 JAN 43. Interesting thing is that just between those three is proof that Atlas did not practice FIFO (First In, First Out) control on their bearing inventory.

Robert D. I'm sorry it's taken so long to get back to you. I listed the lathe's as bed length as that seemed to be the most prevalent way to identify atlas lathes. Ok the D1215 has babbit bearing's, vertical countershaft, steel fabricated change gear guard (painted black as are the two headstock spindle guards - original paint) No evidence that it ever had a name plate attached (no rivet holes, will look closer as I clean it. It looks exactly like the picture you posted.
Round tailstock (no oil dipper hole). Behind the switch box the hole is round. The paint on the bed is in remarkably good shape after cleaning with carb. cleaner spayed on a rag. I repainted the newer crosslide and tailstock Ford/Ferguson 9n-2n gray it is a really close match. I used Van Sickle brand paint, in my area it is available from Orschelns farm and home. It is available in rattle cans quarts and gallons also a hardener is available. the only drawback is the slow dry time so I use a automotive type medium reducer it works much better. On the V11603 S the plate and the boss are oval. Babbitt bearings, vertical countershaft, cast changegear guard. I've not found the nameplate not able to look for rivet holes due to location of lathe. Will be removing it from the bench in the near future. The 101.07383 has a 3/4 leadscew a one piece apron - saddle casting, the saddle lock is on the right side of the casting. The hole in the headstock is a rectangle. The previous owner installed a different saddle traverse control mounted to the left of the apron. Sad thing is he kept the gear and crank handle to operate it with. Will hopefully figure out my camera so I can post some pics. I sincerely thank you for all of your help and being on this site. Otis

Thanks. The model number of the 10D was 1042. The nameplate was probably on the back of the bed, about 2/3 of the way down from the headstock. Rough guess on its year of manufacture is 1935.

The 10F (model # V42) was made before mid-1942 because of the oval switch plate. Best guess just going by the serial # is late 1938 or 1939.

I would guess that the 101.07383 was made in 1943. It's catalog number was 2071, which specifies the bed length. It wasn't until about 1950 with the 101.27430 and 27440 that the Sears model numbers also pinned down the bed length. As the machine was not made in a transition year, the lead screw was probably changed by a PO. Doesn't hurt anything. The right lead screw bearing carrier will also not be original.

I'll add mine to the list. It's a 101.07403, Sn 18717. It is a 12"x24" (between centers). It has the original 1/3hp motor and iron leg stand. I recently added a QCGB to it. I've never needed to replace the spindle bearings, so don't know the dates. I bought it over 30 years ago from a very old machine shop that closed down. I've made 100s of parts on it over the years - it's like an old friend.
Hope this helps,
Steve

Last edited:
Back