Atlas/Craftsman Serial Numbers and Bearing Dates (if applicable) For Database Entries

OK on the date.

I'll look into the Conversations problem. Probably log in as you briefly.

I have $169.00 in in the Atlas 900B Collet Closer (according to my Accounting database). If you are still interested, I will get all of the pieces together and take some photos. A PDF of the 2-page owners manual and parts list is in Files under I think Atlas Lathe Accessories, or something close to that.

Hi Robert,
Can one still get 3AT collets? I don't have the 3C collet adaptor. Are the adaptors available any more?
Yes I am interested the price is fine. The photos and PDF would be great so I can see what I need to make for linkage.
If you want we could just use our email accounts to correspond.
I got the lathe mounted on its new bench with new belts. The head stock belt is a twist lock so I didn't have to pull the spindle and fired it up, works good.

Thank you,
Bill

Bill,

The 3AT aren't as common anymore as 3C but can still be found pretty frequently used on eBay. Plus at least Bass Tool here in Houston still carries one (West German) brand new. New they average about $21 each. Batches of used ones on eBay are usually less expensive, except maybe square and hex. It took me a while but except for a 1/64" one, I finally accumulated a complete set from 1/32" to 1/2" by 64ths. In the course of doing that, I ended up with extras which I have been selling for $10 each.

I think that I ended up with two or three extra 3AT adapters as well. I'll have to check what I have in them but will let you have one at my cost, whatever it was. I don't have an extra 3C adapter. And I also do not have an extra spindle nose thread protector, which you definitely should use. Tomorrow, I'll try to gather up the 900B parts and send you a photo(s) and also the 2-page manual.

When I get time, I'm going to move our non-serial number related comments down into the main area. And maybe we'll get the PM's working as well. I just sent you a test message.

Here's another for your database. I have a QC54, serial number 000423. From what I can tell reading this board, it must have been made in late 1947. Does that make sense? (Lightly used, in excellent condition. I've had it about ten years.)

Jerry,

Yes. The first catalog that the QCGB appeared in is dated 1947. As Atlas rarely dated anything any closer than that, I just assume, absent any other information on the subject, that anything that shows up in a catalog that just gives the year was available by January of that year. At a distance of 50 to 80 years, it doesn't introduce much potential error.

Craftsman Model 101-27430, S/N 12L-035633

Thanks. Did it come with any clues as to when it was made or bought?

I wish I knew more. It appears in the 1953 Sears catalog but not in the 1951 catalog nor in the 1966 catalog. So, some time between 1952 and 1965. That's the best I can do.

OK. I can do better than that. The QCGB first appeared in the 1951 Craftsman Power Tools catalog along with the 101.27430, 101.27440 and the older change gear 101.07403. They (those three models) last appeared in the 1957 catalog, after which they were replaced by the first version of the 1/2" bed 12" machines. Given the catalog print cycles, the catalogs were probably done the previous Summer or Fall so the QC box was probably in production by late 1950. The latest bearing date that anyone has reported is from 1951. If you ever have occasion to pull the spindle, please report any dates on the bearings or if there are no dates.

The highest 3/8" bed 12" serial number that we have is 041832. Making a few assumptions that may or may not be totally valid, I get early June, 1954.

Last edited:
Back