Atlas/Craftsman Serial Numbers and Bearing Dates (if applicable) For Database Entries

Based upon a report in the database that serial # 102826 was bought on 01/16/1974. I would place yours as made in early 1974. The date in the bed is the casting date. The Atlas MOLO says that bed castings were seasoned for at least a year before being finish machined. How much longer they might have been seasoned before machining or how long after that they might have been used, we don't know. Clausing lost or destroyed all of the Atlas production records.

The earlier machines with the different shaped gear and belt covers were made from 1936 until late 1957. Your machine is the final version. The version made from late 1957 until late 1967 are almost the same as yours except that they had the earlier pull-out knob to engage cross-feed, the earlier right lead screw bearing, no slip-clutch on the lead screw, and a few other minor differences. They also had serial numbers beginning with "00", not "10".

If you should ever have ocassion to pull the spindle, please report any dates found engraved on the spindle bearings.

Last edited:
That is a wonderful piece of research, I really appreciate it. I currently have the head stock completely disassembled but I don't recall seeing any engraving on the bearings, but I'll check. The owner explained that this machine was purchased by him 26 years ago at an estate auction but before he got it unloaded, he found a deal on a South Bend, which is what he REALLY wanted. The machine sat in the corner of his shop for 20-21 years until he moved it to an OUTSIDE carport. It sat there until July of 2015 when I purchased it...... It was rusted beyond belief, but in great shape otherwise, if that makes any sense. What isn't rusted is in 'like new' condition. I have been methodically restoring it and I'm on "the home stretch". I have a friend who has a powder coat shop so I have been having him coat everything 'Machinery Gray'. Between Royal Purple degreaser and Evaporust, we are slowly making progress. I have it put back together with the exception of the head stock and the gear change box. We have taken a zillion pictures along this journey and I'll share them when I can. Thanks again and I'll be sure to check the bearings for dates.

Thanks. Compared to the 10 inch and early 12 inch, we have relatively few late 12 inch machines listed in the database. However, none of the listings show bearing dates. This could be a coincidence or because either Atlas or Timken quit date marking the bearings. If your machine does have dates on the bearings, they will be on the one surface of the cups and of the cones that don't touch anything. So on the cups, the dates would be visible if the dust covers are removed. If you have the spindle out of your headstock, that should have extracted the right dust cover as the right cone is a light press fit on the spindle and usually brings the cover out with it. Let us know.

OK. Thanks. I was afraid of that. The latest date that we have in the database is 1951/08/14. So either Timken or Atlas must have quit doing it in the early 50's. Possibly because Timken's precision had improved to the point where it was no longer a premium charge to get bearings to whatever Class Atlas required.

Wow, lesson learned the hard way...... the headstock bearings ARE NOT both the same!! I'm sure most intelligent people would have checked that out prior to ordering them.... however..... after cleaning them up (they were NASTY), they LOOKED the same so I assumed (and yes, I know the true definition of assumed!) they'd be the same. And just to show how messed up I am, I bought the right side race and the left side bearing!! Oh well, just another bump in the road to restoring this baby!

Just as an FYI, the two major parts of a tapered roller bearing are called the Cup and the Cone.

The spindle diameter is a little smaller on the left end.

I'm sure this is a silly question but should you "pack" the bearings with grease or are they strictly lubricated by the oilers from above?

Well, only slightly. Short answer is No. Longer answer is H+*l No. :) Seriously, if you pack the bearings with grease, and if some of the grease immediately slings off (which it will), it could plug or block the oil pathway. And Murphey's Law says that it will, not may. Install the felt plugs that Atlas added as standard from the mid-sixties and try to remember to "top up" once a day or before every use period.

Very good, then, thank you! Got my bearing order all straightened out this weekend so all should be good in a few days.

Back