Atlas/Craftsman Serial Numbers and Bearing Dates (if applicable) For Database Entries

Re: Atlas 10" Serial Numbers and Bearing Dates

Thanks Robert - I've sent him an email

Anyway, your machine was built 1948 or later unless the PO bought and retrofitted the QCGB after 1947 and changed the nameplate. And serial number 003825 on a change gear machine is almost certain to have been on a 10D. That's another area where the database has so few entries as to be statistically inconclusive and possibly incorrect as well. That's one of the reasons that I started this sticky thread - in hopes of collecting enough data to be able to weed out the bogus entries. Sadly, there has been very little response.

I also have the power cross slide of a 10F, but no way of determing (other than probably not with the history I know of) if it was retrofitted. What else is a dead giveaway between a 10D and 10F?

The lathe came into my family in the 1960's when my grandfather bought it and my uncle (then a HS student) helped him rebuild it. The lead screw was badly worn near the headstock, so it was removed and remachined to reverse it end to end...so my leadscrew works in opposite directions and I assume a custom half nut was made. It works fine otherwise, so long as I work close to the headstock. Other than that, I understand nothing but much cleanup was done to it, but my uncle is still around and in good shape so I'll ask...

The history of these is a big part of the fun and value!

Sorry, I lost track of this. Here is a picture of my QC54. You can tell better than I if it is a retrofit QCGB. I can get closeup pics of anything to need to see in more detail.
DSC01141_zps8bbc536f.jpg

DSC01141_zps8bbc536f.jpg

Robert;
Are you interested in collecting any data on the C Man 12 in lathes?
If so here is mine
101 29840
sn 000637

I had the spindle apart recently, but failed to note any markings

Regards
ed

Ed,

Yes. Thanks. I think that you have to pull the cups to see the inspection dates.

I've been meaning to change the thread title but keep forgetting.

Robert D.

Clayton,

I may have said part of this before (I didn't go and try to find our orur original posts) but I'd bet on it's being an original QC54.

Besides the power cross feed, 3/4" dia. lead screw and two-piece apron, the other differences between a 10D and a 10F are that all 10D's had vertical countershafts originally. Yours is horizontal. Most (but not all) 10D's had babbit bearings, not Timken's. Early 10D's had smaller rectangular symmetrical legs but later ones had the same longer slanted legs as the 10F. So that isn't much help. The Quick Change kits did not come with a new nameplate.

Robert D.

I hadn't previously noticed it probably because looking back I see that almost all age related questions the past year have been for 12". In the combined machine database (408 entries to date) there are only 74 10" entries, a third of which show no serial numbers. And there is a large jump or blank range in the 10" serial numbers. They meander up to a little over 8000 and then skip to over 17000. Plus we only have three supposed bearing dates, one of which does not track with the other two. Meaning that it is about 13000 smaller than one with almost the same date.

Anyway, anyone with a 10" who doesn't remember for sure entering your machine into the old Yahoo database or giving it to me recently, please send me the model number (which includes bed length), serial number (including any prefix or suffix letters), type (10F, 10D, etc.), and if it has Timken bearings, the bearing dates if you know them. If no bearing dates, then anything that would give the original purchase date (no guesses, please).

Thanks, Robert D.
Robert,
I have an atlas 10d with 48 inch ways serial number A3965S from what I can gather it is a 1936 model. the gear change chart inside the gear cover is different than anything I could fine on the internet. it is also very small print and hard to read. I have photographed it with a macro lens and enlarged it, if you need a copy let me know. I have the early style compound with two verticle studs and nuts that allow the compound to rotate. I need to know if the dovetails on the later model compound are the same as the dovetails on early model so I can update my 10d.
thanks,
Dennis

Dennis,

To answer your question first, yes. The later compound slide will fit the earlier stud type compound swivel. And the later cross slide and pintle style compound swivel will replace the earlier stud type. The follow rest is the same part number in the 1935, 1937 and 1945 catalogs. The part number for the cross feed stop changed from 9-425 to just 425 between 1935 and 1937 but they all say for 9" and 10" so the carriage dovetail did not change. Likewise, on the compound slide, the 918 parts list shows 9-301 cross slide, 9-302 compound swivel and 9-303 compound slide. The 10E and 10F parts lists shows 10-301 and 10-302 (the pintle version) but still the 9-303. So the compound dovetail did not change.

Does your compound have the little hand wheel or the two-handle crank on the compound feed screw? And are the legs more or less square are they significantly wider than they are deep, with a pronounced lean toward the center of the bed?

Yes, I would like to see the photo of the threading chart.

Incidentally, had your machine been made a day or two later, it would have the pintle style swivel. That occurred at S/N 3970.

Robert,
I'm not sure if my lathe was listed on yahoo groups or not, I do remember posting it some where but I don't remember where or when.
So here is the info again. I have an Atlas 10F with Timkin Bearing headstock ( it was originally a Babbit headstock which I still have )
the serial number is H 12768 S and it is located on the outboard way at the end. I have no info from the bearings as there is no need to change them.
could you please send or post a link to the data base that you are putting together for our viewing pleasure.
Thanks
Regards
Wally Gehricke
dgehricke

Hi Robert, new member here with a recently acquired Atlas 10F. It's a TH54, serial no. 075455. The previous owner had changed the bearings and retained the old ones so I was able to get dates from them. They are: 10-9-44 and 11-30-44. Hope this helps.

Mark Buechle

Wally,

I didn't have yours before. I have added it to the local database. Send me the bed length so that I can fill out the correct model number. All I can say about the MFG date is that it's one of the earliest 10F's, probably early 1939.

The database I referred to is on Yahoo in the Atlas_Craftsman Group's Database section. Files and Databases on Yahoo are only accessible to members. If you don't want to join that group, I will email you a .CSV or .DBF file (your choice). But first I will have to do an upload to add yours (after I get the bed length) and Mark's.

Mark,

Thanks. However, I have three entries in the database with supposedly later dates (all 1946) but slightly lower serial numbers. Could you recheck carefully the first two digits of the serial number and the year on the bearings. There are several possible explanations (two of the dates are purchase dates, not bearing dates, and we don't know how carefully Atlas adhered to a First-In First-Out practice on bearings). But as I have the chance to ask, I thought that I would do so (doesn't happen very often).

Back