Atlas/craftsman Mill Tumbler Pivot Shaft

Wheels17

Active User
Registered
While checking out the Sears version of the Atlas Horizontal mill(101.15500, Serial SM000026) that I purchased recently, I found that the double gear on the tumbler pivot shaft had an extremely loose fit on the shaft. I was pretty discouraged at first, since I assumed that the bearing inside the gear was shot. The gears were in excellent condition.

When I dismantled it, I found that the shaft was extremely worn, with a diameter of about .306". When I measured the gear bearing, I was pleasantly surprised. It fit a 5/16 dowel pin perfectly. All of the .0065 slop in the bearing was associated with the pin.

I made the attached drawing off the existing pin, but stopped on all diameters and lengths when I was a bit larger than the measured dimensions. I made the tumbler lever pivot first, and fit the diameter to the tumbler. That turned out to be .001 over the drawing at .501. I then fitted the length, which turned out to be about .005 longer than the original for the best action.(I think the fiber washers had dried out, and had swollen when hit with fresh oil).

I then chucked the pivot shaft and made the gear shaft end. The shaft was made to 5/16, but ended up about .0015 longer than the original when fitted with the gear and feeler gauges.

The last operation was to put the pivot shaft in a 5C collet spin index fixture and cut the hex.

Here are a couple of pictures, and a drawing in .pdf format. (wouldn't let me upload the .dwg).

On to the next issue...

Tumbler 1.jpg Tumbler 2.jpg

Attachments

• Tumbler Pivot Shaft-As Built.pdf
    67.5 KB · Views: 10
Nice work is the best part of having the tools to do the job - well done.

John

Thanks!! Your sure are right about the tools. My only regret is that I didn't start metalworking about 35 years sooner!! I hope the drawing can be of use to someone else...

Back