atlas/craftsman 6" tool post holder

borjawil

Registered
Registered
I have a mk2 atlas 6" and need the very top slide of the carriage assembly that holds the tool post. Also need tooling if anyone has it for cheap.

borjawil,

I don't have any 6" parts but be advised that the Compound Slide (common name for the part) from the Atlas 618, Craftsman 101.07301 and Craftsman 101.21400 will all fit the MK2 Compound Swivel. They look a little different in that the top surface is rounded and the feed screw thrust bearing plate is flattened diamond shaped. But they were actually supplied on about the first 3000 or so of the MK2's.

No. As I wrote in another thread, I don't have the information necessary to honestly say that it cannot be made to work. But just because it was sold by Sears and has a Craftsman badge doesn't mean that it will fit any 6" lathe sold by Sears. As I wrote to you or someone in another thread yesterday, we don't have the dovetail dimension but there is no particular reason why they would necessarily be the same. The one in your photo is off of an AA lathe which was made by AA or Double A, not Atlas. There is no connection between the two companies other than that they both made 6" lathes.

The feed screw is 5/16"-24 instead of 1/4"-20. But I don't know what diameter the feed screw nut is, so don't no whether or not it would fit in the hole in the Compound Swivel on the Atlas. If it will, it's just an accident. In any case, even if by some coincidence it does fit, I still would not use it because of the 24 tpi thread. With that pitch, the compound slide will advance 0.0417" per revolution instead of 0.050". Very inconvenient, and one of the reasons that it has no dial.

Last edited:
Back