Atlas-craftsman 101.07301 Chuck Wobble

Ed,
I'm new to the forum but have read this thread with great interest (as I am also a novice and suspect a spindle problem on my Atlas). Did you ever get anywhere with at least isolating the problem?
John

I have had a very intense few weeks with my work and am also trying to deside if we are going to build a house and a couple shops or buy a place or..... I think it is that the chuck is threaded at an angle, but I wonder if it is both the chuck and the spindle. When I get more time i will try to figure out what I am going to do. I am tempted to just buy a new lathe and work on this one later. Wish you luck Ed

I am thinking that I might just get a 4 jaw and see what I can do with that. I still wonder if I am dealing with both a bad Chuck and a bad spindle. Thanks again for all your help.. Will keep you posted.. Ed

May I suggest that you get a face plate for your lathe as it's cheaper initially , you can still turn some things on the lathe and it will help you decide where to go once you've fitted it , measured up any play or variations etc. and thought things out .

Ed,

The 101.07301 does not have a common history of having bent spindles (although it could happen) But with it, determining whether or not that is a part of the problem is pretty trivial. Remove the spindle again and reinstall it without the gears or pulley. Mount a dial indicator and measure the runout on the generally never touched surface that lies between the two pulley bushings. It should be close to zero.

Wa5cab
Thanks, That is what I needed to know. Will check it out when I get the time. Like I said my work is crazy and on top of that we are planning to build a house and a shop, plus an equipment shed. 2 much going on. :chunky:

Back