Atlas Clausing model 4803 Lathe

papermaker

Active User
Registered
Last week I bought a package deal off craigslist that had an Atlas Clausing 12" model 4803 lathe. it was apart in its major components for storage reasons. It's all back together and running.
I'm very impressed with the features it has and by how well made it is.
I'm curious if there are any other owners on this forum who own this model.

I'll post some pictures of the lathe when I get my phone contacts transferred from my old phone to my new phone.

I have a Clausing Atlas 4803 too, here's a picture.
I've been looking everywhere for a lubrication chart for this lathe, does anyone know where to find one ? ?

IMG_0081.JPG

Last edited:
Hey wa5cab thanks for putting that up. For some reason, I can't open that link on my computer, but from your description, I think that's the same manual that I downloaded from vintagemachinery.org: "Operating Manual and Parts List, No. 4800 Series 12-inch Lathes"
It's a great manual and does have a good overview of oiling the lathe, you're right, I was just really hoping to find that lubrication chart that it references. Haven't had any luck.

Sorry. Must have fat-fingered the copy and paste. I corrected it (above). It is most likely the same as the copy that you already have (I didn't record where I found it but probably the same place that you found it). The only difference would be that the first 9 or 10 pages are cleaned up.

Hey nice machine is that its final resting place ? an oil splash guard to stop oil flicking off the chuck & job on to the window and a sheet metal chip tray under it may help also I painted the wall behind my lathe white to help with the retrieval of bits and pieces that fall down behind and got a nice line of oil off the chuck when I turned it on

Back