Atlas 618 Treadmill Motor Install

swapped the V pulley for the original flywheel and poly V belt. Bit of fiddle farting around, but it works really nicely and I think has reduced vibration to as low as I can get it without balancing the motor. Big benefit is that it has dropped the speed range down to ~25-140rpm in back gear and ~250-1000rpm direct drive in the smallest countershaft pulley, so now I can do more turning in direct drive without having to resort to back gear so much. Also gives me a super low speed for large stuff or threading if I need it.

IMG_4782.JPG IMG_4783.JPG IMG_4784.JPG IMG_4787.JPG IMG_4788.JPG IMG_4789.JPG IMG_4790.JPG IMG_4791.JPG IMG_4793.JPG IMG_4794.JPG IMG_4795.JPG IMG_4820.JPG

Nice color of blue paint you're using there- is that a Rust-o-leum color?
Mark S.

thanks mark - it's rustoleum satin blue. sets soft but hardens up nicely after a few days

Looks like the pulley/belt change should be a big improvement. Nice work Matt. Mike

I agree,nice job. BUT, let me advise you about Lexan; my wife uses it in her jewelry. IF you put ANY strain on it, like tightening the screws a bit too tight, over time craze lines will appear and the corners can break off.

This is a curious quality of Lexan. You can beat on it with a BIG hammer without hurting it, but over time it does this strange thing,I guarantee.

We use it to cover miniature photographs in my wife's jewelry. Thousands of pieces of jewelry. It gets put into surrounding silver bezels. One time we punched the ROUND lexan shapes a bit too large for the bezel. The shapes pressed into the bezels, leaving a SOMEWHAT domed shape, which we thought looked attractive. However,after some months every one of those domes were full of very small craze lines,and had to be removed and replaced with slightly smaller discs that stayed flat inside the bezel.

Years ago I learned about Lexan. Amazing stuff!! I had to make a forming shape for HAMMERING silver over for some silver smith friends. It milled beautifully with a FLAT carbon steel cutter I made. I did not believe that Lexan could survive hammering silver over it. When I was done, I took some left over piece of the 1" thick Lexan. Laid it on an anvil and hit it with a ball pein hammer. No reaction! I then got my BIGGEST ball pein and beat the heck out of the Lexan. I could not hurt it!!

thanks fomogo, it did make a big difference! so much so that i want to make a poly v spindle pulley now :)

yeah George, i wouldn't use lexan again, too flexy. i thought it would be neat to see the status lights on the board, but it's not really necessary. i still have the original cover (like the one i used on my dp motor install) if this one goes belly up.

Back