Atlas 618 rebuilt, repainted, new screw and half-nut, VFD and hard mounted...

I enjoyed doing it.

Now I want to do a bigger one. My wife says if I want another one I'd have to sell the Atlas. Man, can't a man have more than one lathe? :dunno:

That looks great. I'm thinking of doing a similar project. What kind of belts are you using? What are they made of? Where did you get them? You mentioned in the video that you cut them to length, then burned the ends to join them? Tell me more . . . I have many finicky projects requiring inexpensive belts.

That looks great. I'm thinking of doing a similar project. What kind of belts are you using? What are they made of? Where did you get them? You mentioned in the video that you cut them to length, then burned the ends to join them? Tell me more . . . I have many finicky projects requiring inexpensive belts.

Go to the Youtube link for the lathe and look at the other videos, there's one just for the belts. Cheap, but a bit of a pain to do. They are quiet, grippy and look really cool, though. I am happy with them and plan to use them on my next lathe as well.

Go to the Youtube link for the lathe and look at the other videos, there's one just for the belts. Cheap, but a bit of a pain to do. They are quiet, grippy and look really cool, though. I am happy with them and plan to use them on my next lathe as well.

Ah, I see. Very helpful video. What diameter solid core are you using? 3/8, 5/16, 1/2? Would you use a different one if you had to order again?

I enjoyed doing it.

Now I want to do a bigger one. My wife says if I want another one I'd have to sell the Atlas. Man, can't a man have more than one lathe? :dunno:

My wife mentioned such a rule to me with a straight face. :nono: I smiled and said right.:rofl: I don't think a machine has left my shop since but more keep coming in, complete or in pieces. I always say where there is a will there is a way and always seem to find just a wee bit more room for that other machine, tool or piece of equipment I just had to have.:cool:

Back