Atlas 618 feed handle

Although M6-29 and M6-38 were riveted together, they were available as separate parts. There is no real stress on the lever and the rivet head simply kept the lever from coming off. If there was a threaded hole by a PO, it was most likely a 6-32. A trial fit could verify that. If the threads are stripped, you should be able to run an 8-32 tap in to create new threads. If it was a 4-40 thread, a 5-40 tap will give you clean threads. A short screw and washer will keep the lever in place. The lever is very slightly magnetic and doesn't spark so isn't steel and is most likely nickel plated Zamak so welding or brazing is out of the question. If there isn't enough material in the cam shaft for a screw, a rivet or pin can be used with JB Weld to hold the lever on.

I don't have any 6" lathe, but if someone with any model of either Atlas or Craftsman 6" lathe (except the Craftsman 101.07300) who has had to for any reason remove the lever from the scroll shaft will give me the dimensions of the square machined onto the end of the scroll shaft, I will state the largest thread size that it will be safe to tap the scroll shaft to.

My machine is a Craftsman branded Atlas 101. 07301 and a very early one at that (it has a double lead 3/8 "V" thd. cross feed lead screw) and that lead screw is on the 101.0300 . I'm not absolutely sure if that makes any difference but the square shaft that we are talking about now , on mine is 5/16 square . Mine has been factory peened over and perfect condition . Hope that helps .
Mark .

Back