Atlas 4804 something bent or wrong

If the spindle is protruding out the back you can make an easy clamp . A piece of hardwood ,,, oak ash or heart pine ,, drill a hole the size of your spindle in a piece about 2"# 6" then cut the board in two the long way ,then cut an extra 1/4" off , drill to holes for bolts to tighten it add a piece of angle iron 2' long with holes drilled to mate with the board tighten them to the spindle. Then you can put plenty of pressure to release the chuck. It's the way we take barrels off of guns . Believe me your chuck will move and no damage to your spindle.

(snip)My dad is and he has both a Swedish or Swiss large lathe as well as a large milling machine that does both horizontal and vertical setups both 3 phase machines, so I've become interested and hate asking him questions that make me look like an idiot and he isn't really capable of coming to location to help anymore.(snip
Lack of experience does not make an idiot, only someone who needs practice, study, advice, and help. All of those will help to change the equation toward experienced competence. Every one of us here was once a total beginner...

Do NOT use an impact wrench. Use a steady pressure... using a cheater bar, if necessary. Mix up 50%/50% of acetone and ATF.... that is the best penetrating oil you can find..... apply daily for a week or so. Then apply heat with a heat gun (NOT A TORCH) to the chuck..... just too hot to touch is as far as you should go. Try the cheater bar. If no joy, continue with the penetrating oil and take more time... Be patient and think this thing through. You've got a really good piece of machinery, don't screw it up!

The factory assumes the chuck isn't stuck THAT BAD, that's why they say to use the backgears. We know better. See above.
MS

In this post on another thread, I relayed the story of separating a very large chuck/spindle arrangement prior to rebuilding: http://www.hobby-machinist.com/threads/16-von-wyck-machine

I remember working on an ancient lathe nearly forty years ago that had a threaded-spindle chuck frozen in place. I'm thinking it was a big old LeBlond. The guy that was rebuilding the lathe made up an interesting arrangement to wrench the chuck free of the spindle.

He took two pieces of 2" x 4" or 2" x 6" CRS and drilled and tapped two big bolts (5/8 or 3/4") in the steel pieces aligned edge to edge. Two washers were slipped between the blocks and the bolts were inserted and tightened. Then a hole was bored through about 1/4" bigger in diameter than the machine's spindle. The chuck was laid face down on the shop floor with the spindle pointing straight up and this "wrench" was bolted in place around the spindle and blocked up to be level and approximately centered. The washers were still in place as spacers between the two halves. A small pot of lead was melted and then poured into the gap between the wrench and the spindle and then everything was disassembled and the lead ring was cut into halves with a small piece of sharpened brass bar stock.

You know that tough, sticky sap that runs out of pine and cedar trees? The old guy had a coffee can with a pretty good collection of the stuff. He heated some of that on a stick and smeared a little on the spindle and the bore of the wrench caps before popping the lead back in and reassembling the wrench onto the spindle without the washers separating the two halves. The bolts were then tightened until they smoked and then about a quarter turn past that that!

The big 4-jaw chuck was clamped down onto another piece of thick wall tubing lying across its face. A couple of shop rags were wrapped around the spindle's journal areas and a larger pipe was slid up over it, with the pipe being probably 8-10' long. Another pipe was slid onto the 2 x 2" tube welded to the wrench's lower cap. With a man standing on each pipe about midways along their length, the old guy mounted the piece of tubing clamped into the chuck. It sounded like a .22 rifle firing when that chuck broke loose, or at least that's how I remember it.

To help my rambling make sense, below are a couple of sketches I banged out with hopes of tying things together. First, how the wrench was configured and bolted to the spindle. Second, a combined overhead and side view, with the three football shapes representing the mens' positions while breaking the chuck free. I hope the Von Wyck doesn't require anything this aggressive but if it does...

Back