Atlas 12-inch. Model 3996

Yeti

Registered
Registered
Hello, here is my first post.
I just bought an Atlas 12 lathe. The color is greenish but most lathes on photos I've spotted on the Web are gray.
Does anyone know the color codes and an explanation for the different colors?

93478352.jpg

They probably got a good deal on that color when they made that production run:lmao::lmao::lmao:
That is one of the nicer atlas lathes they put out, do you need any documentation for it???:thinking: I think I still have the scans of some of the docs on my other puter :))

Thanks for the interest guys.
I was lucky enough to get the original Operational instructions and parts list with the lathe.

A soft copy would be useful.
email yeti at simnet.is replace "at" with @ changed by swatson144 in hopes to limit yeti's spam

Last edited by a moderator:
Green tends to be the correct color but what color of green is debatable. Gray is just boring.

Check the backside of one of the pieces. Likely it has not been repainted, so the original color will still be visible and not faded as it would be been protected from light.

I have the same machine, unfortunately I did not get that nice factory stand with mine. Upgrade that lantern tool post with a Phase II piston for about $150.00 and that machine will be more enjoyable to use.

Is there a reason to choose a piston type tool post rather than a wedge type?

I bought a piston style but was not happy with the tool being pushed down on first contact with the work. I since replaced with the wedge style and have not looked back.

Back