Atlas 10F lathe? What have I purchased?!!

Just cleaned up the the split nuts that came with the lathe, and they look better than I thought they would.

Attachments

• IMG_E4537.JPG
    IMG_E4537.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 24
I'm sorry to burst your bubble, but those nuts are pretty much gone :( They might still work and it wouldn't hurt to try, but I'd suggest looking for replacements.

I'm sorry to burst your bubble, but those nuts are pretty much gone :( They might still work and it wouldn't hurt to try, but I'd suggest looking for replacements.
The new ones from Clausing arrived today, already installed them. But thanks for the headsup, I will pitch the old ones.

The two original half-nuts had two things wrong with them. One is that the one on the right was 100% worn out (the flat surface originally on the ID of the threads was completely gone). The other reason is that the wear pattern on the left one indicates that it was either not a mirror image of the right one or that the problem was the scroll or guide. My guess would be that the two were each made in a different (non matching) set of dies or that the scroll and/or guide were not made to print. Safest thing to do is to also replace the scroll and guide. By the time that there is enough wear to determine the culprit, it will be too late if the culprit turns out to have been the guide or scroll.

The two original half-nuts had two things wrong with them. One is that the one on the right was 100% worn out (the flat surface originally on the ID of the threads was completely gone). The other reason is that the wear pattern on the left one indicates that it was either not a mirror image of the right one or that the problem was the scroll or guide. My guess would be that the two were each made in a different (non matching) set of dies or that the scroll and/or guide were not made to print. Safest thing to do is to also replace the scroll and guide. By the time that there is enough wear to determine the culprit, it will be too late if the culprit turns out to have been the guide or scroll.
I replaced the half-nuts and the scroll, but not the guide.

Finished the tailstock and the New-All gear changer. Nothing major was wrong with them, other than the old grease and the paint all over everything.

Fred

Attachments

• IMG_4541.JPG
    IMG_4541.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 16
  • IMG_4477.JPG
    IMG_4477.JPG
    2.3 MB · Views: 13
  • IMG_4576.JPG
    IMG_4576.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 11
  • IMG_4577.JPG
    IMG_4577.JPG
    2.4 MB · Views: 11
  • IMG_4549.JPG
    IMG_4549.JPG
    2.7 MB · Views: 12
  • IMG_4555.JPG
    IMG_4555.JPG
    2.5 MB · Views: 12
  • IMG_4578.JPG
    IMG_4578.JPG
    2.7 MB · Views: 13
  • IMG_4579.JPG
    IMG_4579.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 18
Geez, someone really went nuts with the paint. Hopefully that means zero prep and easier to remove.
Looking good. I like seeing refurb threads for machine tools.

Back