Atlas 10F 24... motor RPM and HP verification ..

The reason you can stop your chuck with your hand is ,there is a pin in the big gear on the spindle shaft that needs to be engaged.

Also I noticed if you put a smaller pulley on you motor it would slow it down a lot.

Finally found out on how to use the BULL gear and pin with or without the back gears.... wow opened up a whole different lathe...now this lathe is running way better than before ..my bull gear pin was out to far not giving me correct speeds and I had to use the back gears to do anything..thats way my questions were about motor size/speed/feed rate etc..now I can run at speed and feeds that I could not get before... very important for new lathe owners of these sizes to know how the BULL gear and bull gear pin works ..thanks again to all that helped me ..:)

bull gear pin.jpg

Last edited:
The usual question that we get from new owners is why the belts slip and the spindle won't turn if they engage the back gears. The answer, of course, is to pull out the pin and read the manual. :) Incidentally, the pin should not come out.

You also need the correct size 2-step motor pulley. The two diameters (OD) are approximately 1.930" and 4.390". As shown, you have an 8-speed machine. If the motor pulley OD is close to 4.390". then the 8 speeds that you can get are the high numbers of each pair. There is a motor pulley drawing in Downloads. Also note that when you calculate the pulley ratios, you use the pitch diameter, not the outside diameter. The PD is roughly the outside diameter of the belt when in the pulley (which should be slightly less than the pulley OD) minus the belt height or thickness.

Robert D.

Those are both part numbers. If you look, you will find similar numbers on most parts on the machine that were made from castings and not on any that weren't.

Look on top of the right end of the front way close to where the tailstock runs. Most pre-1957 machines have the serial number there and not on the nameplate.
Robert D.

the other number I found are 9-95A in rear by gear cover and inside gear cover 10F 24 other than that no more numbers exist ..

My motor pulley measures same as drawing and in post.. thats good to know ..as for my bull pin coming out I had to turn it and pull to get it out ..it stays in now I know how to use it .. looking for numbers next ..thanks

Back