Asroba/meyer & Burger UW1

MattM

Active User
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
I recently acquired one of these. It is well used and is very dirty and greasy but operational. The spindle bearings need to be replaced.

I have tried everything short of cutting torches to remove them. I have a very complete original manual (actually two of them) but I do not have a schematic. To me it seems this should be a very simple operation to remove the spindle and bearings. I have rebuilt many lathes and a few milling machines and I have never encountered such a problem.

Any ideas?

Try a heat gun and let the casting get nice and toasty hot? That's how I removed the bearings from my lathe or use a die grinder and grind away some of the race to relieve it?

I also had luck using a mig welder and putting a tack weld on the bearing race.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Cool! Where did you get it from? I have the little Astoba KWM, but would love to find one of those someday. Try here http://uw1.ch/ He seems to have everything related to them. The yahoo Aciera group has also had some discussions on them. Someone there may be able to help.

Pics?

Try a heat gun and let the casting get nice and toasty hot? That's how I removed the bearings from my lathe or use a die grinder and grind away some of the race to relieve it?

I also had luck using a mig welder and putting a tack weld on the bearing race.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

I can't even get close enough to see the bearings.

Cool! Where did you get it from? I have the little Astoba KWM, but would love to find one of those someday. Try here http://uw1.ch/ He seems to have everything related to them. The yahoo Aciera group has also had some discussions on them. Someone there may be able to help.

Pics?

I bought it from some guy I went to see about another CL item. I saw it sitting in a corner of his barn. He didn't know what it was (neither did I, but I could see machine tool written all over it). Said his father owned it and used it extensively in his hobby machine work. It came with a lot of tooling and well over 100 endmills many NIB.

When he said $200.00 for everything I couldn't get the twenties flying fast enough. One of those 1.125" end mills is worth that.

And to think he was literally right around the corner from me (maybe two miles). A real "Barn Find". But now I'm so frustrated at not being able to get it apart I'm thinking about re-selling it and keeping all the endmills.

I'll post pics later.

It is a lathe, a mill, boring machine, precision drill press, shaper, hacksaw, surface grinder, etc. and etc. Think high precision machinist Shopsmith.

Pics to folow as soon as I get the camera battery charged.

That's a very cool little machine, Swiss made so you need to be careful taking it apart. Good soaks with penetrating solvent for starters.
And possibly a little heat to get the bearings out. Are you sure the bearings are bad?
Mark S.

Yes the bearings are worn I can move them slightly by hand. Don't even need to use an indicator to see the "slop".

Well if you did want to sell it I'd be interested-But for the price you got it for you should keep it and fix it up, they're rare here
Mark S.

Back