Askpower A131 Inverter ..... Help!!!!

Mark_f

Registered
Registered
I got a 4.5Kw Chinese AskPower A131 inverter (VFD). The translation from Chinese to English in the skimpy manual leaves a lot to be desired. It seems a lot of info gets lost in the translation. :(

I hooked it all up and connected it to the lathe and powered it up ... and .... NOTHING :cower:. I know nothing about this contraption. The VFD s I worked on 30 years ago were a whole lot different and had very good manuals. Soooo. I started to play with some parameters and got the motor to actually turn, But it is still not right. Does anyone have any experience setting the parameters in this drive. I set the base frequency to 60HZ and that got the motor to run some. I get no faults or errors. It seems to take a long time to start. I'm guessing there is a parameter for that somewhere.

Can anyone help??? This manual that came with it really sucks or I am really stupid:headache:

I set Pn02 to 60 ; Pn08 to 3; Pn09 too 50 ; Pn12 to 60

Last edited by a moderator:

I saw that one.

I have the parameters set to use the external controls instead of the panel and they seem to work. It took all afternoon but I got the motor to run, I just think it may need some fine tuning.

I think I need to adjust the accel and decel times so Tomorrow , I will lower those two parameters as low as possible without faulting.

That manual sure isn't translated well. But I think you are on the right track. I still haven't figured out where to set the motor nameplate parameters.

That manual sure isn't translated well. But I think you are on the right track. I still haven't figured out where to set the motor nameplate parameters.
There doesn't seem to be anyplace. I have spent hours studying these parameters and the majority don't even apply to my use. Only about 1/3 of them seem to apply. I am thinking once I tweak the accel and decel parameters there isn't much else to do.

I am very uncomfortable not having good information on things.

I may be able to help from the original Chinese. Sort of. Is it available?

I speak survival Japanese, but my brother (who majored in electronics engineering) married a Japanese woman, and he is fluent and has traveled the world as a translator for electronics firms. And Japanese uses Chinese characters, so in theory we can read it even though we don't speak the language. (My sister-in-law had a Chinese pen pal for years. They could write to each other intelligibly despite not speaking the same language. It's a fascinating scenario.)

Anyway, all that is to qualify that it would be an interesting challenge and we may be able to help, but no guarantees. :)

I have this drive running ..... Somewhat. When I turn it on and use the pot to increase the speed, the motor speeds up until the pot hits 80%. Then it starts slowing down and stops when the pot hits 100%.

I DON'T KNOW WHY :headache:

I'm going to guess that the motor/drive is going over current above 80% Take a look at the current readout on the VFD and see if that is helpful. Maybe it is throwing an error code also.

Mark, what are you running with this?

Back