Are these Indexable Boring Bars or End Mills?

erikmannie

H-M Supporter - Sustaining Member
H-M Platinum Supporter
I bought these from @mattthemuppet2

If I had to guess, I would say that they would be used as boring bars. What do you guys have to say about these? Are they indexable endmills with a radius?

image.jpg

The one picture shows the inserts cover the whole cutting surface on the end. Could they be inserted drill bits. I do think theyed be for endmills too.

2 flute Insert drills . :encourage: They drill great but throw a slug out of the bottom if you're doing thru holes . If you don't allow bottom clearance , you ruin the drill and inserts . They also have thru the spindle coolant capacity .

2 flute Insert drills . :encourage: They drill great but throw a slug out of the bottom if you're doing thru holes . If you don't allow bottom clearance , you ruin the drill and inserts . They also have thru the spindle coolant capacity .
After checking my Valenites and Kennemetals , your spiral flutes do not continue the entire length of the tool . So I'll take my original statement out . The 2 flutes would drill although at a minimal depth .

Remove one insert, it could bore, though the helix is going to wad up chips in small diameter and/ or deep holes.
Boring bars exist commercially and shopmade with two edges that cut; but one is the leading edge, ahead and closer to centerline as a rougher. Normally, if fluted, straight and full length.

Back