Are Sorbent Sheets Safe?

65Cobra427SC

Registered
Registered
This is only a thought at this point, but has anyone ever used Sorbent sheets (used to absorb oil) in places such as on a lathe drip pan, or in a drip tray under a milling machine? My main concern is if they can catch fire from sparks or hot chips. But I'm also concerned if there may be any other dangers I'm not considering. Thanks.

I'm curious to see the answer. Fire is probably my 2nd biggest concern, I have 2 fire extinguishers in the shop one medium and one large.

That would be a good question for the manufacturer/reseller of absorbent materials. I'd email newpig and ask. They have good products, and should be able to answer that question with some authority. The products they offer must meet several OSHA and other regulations, so I would be very surprised if they weren't made of some flame retardant materials. Naturally, they have no control over what liquids you may dump on them, and that probably is the ultimate determining factor. The fairly low volatility of the average cutting oil may not present a problem, but I wouldn't want to offer my personal opinions on the safety of using them in such a manner.

Good point coolidge. I have one in the connected storage/laundry room but always better safe than sorry... the quicker to grab, the smaller the fire. I'm going to get two more for the workshop. Thanks.

I'll do that Tony. It didn't even occur to me until I was ready to add a roll to my cart with McMaster. Funny but at first I thought newpig was a member here, but a quick Google search and I found them. Never heard of them before so thanks for the suggestion. I'll post their response here.

Sorry about that. I never thought you might think newpig was a member. I've bought a few things over the years from them. Their products aren't cheap, but they do have some unique items, and what I have used has been very good.

That's okay... I thought it was hilarious because I kept telling myself no company would use that as their name. Then I searched Google, and Surprise!

All the ones McMaster sells are made from polypropylene, same with the first one I looked at from newpig so I sent an email to both places. Very brief but asked about catching fire from sparks, hot metal chips, etc. Also asked if they had any noticeable odor. They could be the cats meow, but if they stink I don't want them in my workshop, ha.

I have used many different brands. Most don't have any smell unless you stick your nose in them. But at the normal arms length I don't recall ever smelling them. There are ones that are oil only and some that do oil and water and some that do water/glycol but not oil. The most recent ones I used were recycled newspaper and even had wood chips inside a polypropylene type cover they were for sure flamable. The grey/white ones aren't quite so flamable but have seen them ignited with slag from a cutting torch. So I wouldn't hesitate using them but probably wouldn't put them directly in the path of red hot chips. many small hobby lathes would struggle to make chips that hot to begins with.

Hi Jim. I noticed there were versions which included other materials and it was obvious they would be flammable. With newpig I addressed the version that only used polypropylene, and with McMaster, that's all they sold. My lathe is a 12x36 so it's not huge but not a hobby lathe either. But I just purchased it so at this point I have no idea how hot the chips can get. But if there is any chance the polypropylene could ignite, I'll just pass on the idea. Otherwise I'll be constantly checking them to make sure they're okay... and that would drive me nuts. Regardless, I'll post what they say here so others can make up their own mind. Thanks.

It's just my opinion, but there shouldn't be anything in your chip tray except chips. Then there is nothing to catch fire. If the cutting oil doesn't burn when you cut with it, it certainly won't catch fire in the tray. I would be impressed if you could light it if you tried. When you clean out the chips in the tray, you can wipe down the chip tray to remove any excess oil. Again, just my opinion.

GG

do an experiment. see how hard/easy it is to get one to burn.

pete

Back