Arboga Maskiner mill?

jsh

Registered
Registered
I looked and found very little info.
This is coming up in an auction and wanted to know the low down on these.
Details are very vague, other than made in Sweden.
I am going to see if a buddy and I can get at look at it before the auction
Thanks
Jeff

Take a look on www.lathes.co.uk, Tony's site has a page on Arboga in the milling machine section, it's fairly informative (like most of his site!)

They appear to be well-made machines, if a little quirky, and there are useful warnings on Tony's site about making sure some parts ARE with the mill or budgeting Some Additional Expense for 'em...

Dave H. (the other one)

I have one of these, a Bridgeport they are not, but are well ahead of an equivalent Chinese made machine. Well made with quality materials. There are a few quirks as Dave mentioned, with the M3 quill and also the 415volt 3 phase machines can't be reconfigured/rewired to run from 240v through a single to 3 phase inverter, you need to either find a 415volt 3 phase supply or have the motor rewound to operate on 240/220v. Not sure what your local supply voltage is but something to think about.
There is no draw bar, tooling is all M3 and held in the quill with a large nut or threaded collar - have I found it a problem ? no, I have made up a number of spacers to accommodate the various M3 tooling I have, and there is plenty of E series collet sets around that are more than up to the job. Make sure the collar is included - being removable it is easily separated from the machine. The gearbox has all straight cut gears and as straight cut gears are noisy they are a combination of Tufnol (a type of plastic) and steel, make sure the Tufnol gear are in good shape.

Earlier this year I fitted a 3 axis DRO as my eyesight is now getting a bit poor I think most would agree a worthwhile addition to any machine.

I have a Arboga gear head drill press that was re-wired to 110/3phase from 480 It works well. It is very well made.

Back