Ar15 Shilen Barrel Precision

Bamban

Active User
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Just a little update from Bamban Barrel Barn

To date I have cranked out a dozen AR barrels, including one AR10 in 308. The barrels range from Green Mountain, Krieger, Bartlein, and Shilen. The last 2 were from Shilen Select Match, 4 groove, 8 twist. These barrels were finished out into complete uppers; one went to a USAF shooter and the other to the TX JRs.

Let me share some pictures of the upper I did for the USAF shooter. This is not the complete built pictorial, just some of the snapshots I took with my cell phone. The sighting target is self explanatory with the notes I wrote on the target. I zeroed the front sight with the rear sight at MZ at our 200 yard range on the SR target.

Here are short videos after I finish the chamber on the USAF upper. I just free handed them on my cell phone, as you would notice the wobble. They are short so I can export them from my phone

20151203_005524.jpg 20151203_192323.jpg 20151204_141952 (1).jpg 20151204_142122.jpg 20151204_135741.jpg 20151222_170415.jpg

The other target with no notes on the target was shot with the TX JRs upper. The shots at 3 0'clock were during shoot/clean. Then I moved the front sight L netted the 10 at 930, moved front sight R got the 10 at 1130. Moved the sights for center and fired 22 shots, again at 200 yards on regulation SR target with 3 inch X ring

These Shilen Select Match do show some precision potential, these 63+ year old eyes are not what they used to be. With scope my guess the groups would be tighter.

Thank you. I was seeing well on those range days, no Asthma attack, got plenty of oxygen.

I would be extremely happy if I was that accurate at 200 yds with my scope. I am lucky to achieve 2 MOA consistently. I am pretty sure it's got a lot to do with the guy holding the gun.

Nice work indeed, and having shot an AR once I have to say nice shooting as well! I hate post and aperture sights, service rifle hi-power just isn't my type of shooting.

Are the shallow threads at the muzzle for glare or to facilitate barrel cooling?

Nice work indeed, and having shot an AR once I have to say nice shooting as well! I hate post and aperture sights, service rifle hi-power just isn't my type of shooting.

Are the shallow threads at the muzzle for glare or to facilitate barrel cooling?

Andre,

Thank you for the kind words. The irons could be a pain especially when shooting 1000 yards. Good thing though this year CMP redefined what service rifle is, up to 4.5X power scope is now a legal competition sight. It should help old guys like who use shooting lenses, in my case a +3.0.

The shallow threads are just my personal signature decoration to differentiate my work. Told my friends who needed barrels, they wont get the free chambering jobs if they don't want the decoration....

Good thing we were aiming at much larger targets when I was in the Corps and had to qualify with one of those. Even sitting, it would have been sheer luck for me to put one in a 3" x-ring at 200 (we qualified at 200, 300, and 500 yds.)

I like the shallow thread touch. :)

Back