AR Warner Threader screw size

jdajr

Registered
Registered
Anybody know what the correct size screw is for a AR Warner Threader? Thier website says 6-32 but none of the 6-32 screws I have fit. Broke a screw and trying to find a local replacement.

Tks,
John

Boy! here's a live one.
Maybe nobody knows what an "AR Warner Threader" is?
The AR Warner website mentions that the 1/2 & 3/8 "NV Contains two 6-32 FH screws and one 5/64 hex wrench" and the
"T (laydown) Contains two MS-1152 screws and one T-7 wrench".
Not that I have any idea what a MS-1152 is but a T-7 wrench might mean Torx #7. Maybe MS-1152 is some metric designation?
At great personal discomfort I went to my icy shop and found that a 6-32 screw will thread into a 4mm thread but if any torque was applied I'm sure it would strip. (the sample I had wasn't very thick, maybe a deeper m4 hole would cause the 6-32 to bind and then strip).
In the hopes that you have already resolved this dilema I give up.

No idea here- I have bought their turning tools with inserts.

Maybe someone else has bought this from Warner.

Nelson

Since LMS sells the AR Warner, you might get an answer from them, but as stated above, the T7 is a Torx size. Sometimes you can get by with a standard flat head socket cap screw, but to properly fit an insert with a countersink, often they are are not the same angle as a standard screw.

Please refer to: http://littlemachineshop.com/products/product_view.php?ProductID=3581

I suspect you have such a screw. It is also common to use a metric screw in toolholders. Be certain that you are using the correct screw. If you have an industrial fastener supplier nearby, take your tool and see if they can positively identify the thread, then check the head to verify the cs angle. It sometimes works out to use a standard cs screw, but it is definitely weaker to use a standard when the factory screw is a special. I usually order a few extra screws with I buy a new tool, because I either drop a screw, and don't have the time to search for it, or in time, the Torx, or hex recess will wear to the point I don't trust it.

Thanks to all those that replied. I got my answer, its a 4-40 flat head for those interested.

John

Back