Ar-15 Extended Bolt Latch

n3480h

Active User
Registered
I find it awkward to pull the charging handle back on my AR-15 because I have a scope mounted on it. The heavy gloves I usually wear when hunting in the snow just compound the problem. I see there are commercially available "extended" charging handles available for $60-75, but where's the fun in that? So, I got on the little mill and made my own extended latch, about 3/8" farther out than the original. Problem solved. Undecided about anodizing it . . . kinda like it in the raw.
Bolt Latch.jpg

Tom

Well done. I've purchased a few extended latches and didn't like parting with the $$ they wanted.

Good job. Did you replace the roll pin with a bigger one? I agree it looks nice with the contrast as long as it isn't too reflective. I usually do a light sandblasting to give a more subdued finish if I decide not to phosphate or Gun Kote (thermal curing resin). You might want to contour the top edge if you find it too sharp.
:encourage:

Thanks GI. All I did was to break the edges about .010", which feels sufficient to my rough hands. The roll pin was backed out just enough to release the original latch, and the pin feels tight enough to continue doing its job without movement. The part is not polished and shows a machined finish, which is not too reflective. Although it's not clear in the pic, I milled in light vertical serrations on the face of the thicker section, just enough to add grip - kind of feels like a cat's tongue. I may well Gun Kote or Ceracoat, or get serious and finally set up for anodizing . . . but I'll need to do many more parts before I can justify that expense of time and effort. With the number of goodies in the safe and my penchant for customization, a coating/anodizing system seems likely. I'm just happy that my rookie skill level produced a decent part on the first attempt.

Back