Apprentice exercises.

Thanks John,
I had no idea what had happened my computer skills are very limited.
That's the big advantage of this forum, there is always a helping hand.

Brian.

I never did any schooling for machining. I started off pushing a broach when I was 17. Then the guy in the grinding room asked me if I wanted to learn some grinding. Well he taught me centerless and surface grinding on the part they made there. Then one day he said to me. "Your young yet. If I was you I would go from job to job to learn the different things. Find the guy that has been at the place the longest and become his friend and ask questions. He will teach you all he can." Well I did that for 5 or 6 years and then finally started staying longer at places and most times ended up becoming their top man. I have at one time or another done almost everything you can do in a shop. I even did some time in engineering designing special machinery. I have run entire production floors as well. Don't get me wrong though. I have worked with some school taught folks that were top notch and some I wouldn't give a damn about. It is all about how bad a person wants to learn or how good they want to be at something. Anyone can turn handles and make something but a true machinist makes it a work of art and in most cases in less time.

also we each made a tiny alum arbor press, cut gears rack and pinion It was a nut cracker after 1979 til now I still have it, made v blocks 123 blocks. lucky me I was in the grinder section when they were ready to grind and I had the "fun" of grinding all the classes blocks to + - .0001 and square to within .0002 square. boy did I sweat that out. I didn' want to ruin any of my fellow classmates or teachers items. It was fun. also a deep hole extention. when I started training apprentices at work I dug Up the threading project and have required all the apprentices do the same thing. nuts and all. 2 apprenti made their project into a desk lamp. bill

Back