Anything wrong with cutting wood on a mill?

I machine wood on occasion on my Tormach. The harder woods work best for me. But I also try to use sharp end mills, to prevent splintering. Wood also tends to be a little more warped, so if it's a critical fit, I usually fly cut the surface. No different than the unflatness of extruded aluminum stock. I also find that for heavier cuts, it better to bite into the wood than to emerge from it. The latter usually creates a crack or chip.

What's also nice is that when cleaning up, I can rub the wood chips on the machine frame to clean-up the way oil. Its quite absorbent. The bad is that it usually covers everything in the shop with a light layer of wood dust.

my 2 cents worth...

Eric

Last edited:
We did my son's next Pinewood Derby car on my mill. We won last year, this year we did an engineered car from the track up.

This car obeys ever rule but gets a 2 inch head start due to the spoiler with the slot underneath. The axles were done on my lathe, polished like mirrors and graphite worked in to the wheels. The wheels were shaved on the lathe as well.

View media item 96427

Back