Anyone tried an after market chuck guard on their PM1440GT?

Post some pictures when you get it mounted. I have a smaller one I got for my old lathe that is too small for the 1440. Seems pretty stout. My main use for a shield is for coolant at higher speeds. I generally stand off to the right of the cut so I'm not concerned about oil or swarf most of the time. The real scary swarf is cutting 1018 at high speed. Hard to get that stuff to break into chips. That stuff could rip the shield right off.

This shield, milling the tach enclosure, finish the spider milling and I believe I am finally done with the GT. It's official, the 1030V will be up for sale soon. The GT seems to be all I hoped it would be. No room for a second lathe in my 16"X20" Project shop.

(I'll try to post pictures but seem to have forgotten the process. I may have to just send them to you from my phone, maybe you could post them for me if you want to then.

I got the lathe guard Jay recommended. The mounting arm is thin wall tubing that proved to be somewhat lacking in stability and too small diameter, I had to shim it, to make the tube stable, and the mounting that is bolted to the lathe needed to be shimmed too to make the swing arm level.

If you are up to the mods, which aren't much, it looks to be a good value, once the above is done. I got it for $125. with a coupon that they send on a regular basis. It can be tightened up so as not to fall when up or partially down either. I believe it will do what I want it to do.

Now back to finish the spider and tach box.

I can't say that was a "recommendation". More of an "alternative" choice. I haven't seen or used the gold plated ones.

On my smaller one the tube is pretty stout, almost overkill for the size.

Photos?

Hi Jay, I stand corrected, LOL. I am happy with my choice. I did have to do the usual mods to mine to be happy with it, being made in China, but I believe it will suit my needs. When I move my machines to the Project shop I will try to get some pictures, until then they are in a clutter.

Clutter is the sign of things getting done. Wear it with a badge of honor! That's what I tell myself anyway. :cautious::big grin:

That sounds good but my shop borders on lazy hoarding. A couple of family members, and us, store junk that should be thrown away. Not to mention all the good stuff we have acquired along the way.

Back