Anyone remember buying K'Nex for their Kidz?

middle.road

Granite Stoopid...
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I made a quick run through Habitat ReStore today looking for a solid core door for the basement.
This was in the store for their 'silent auction'.
*wow*
IMG_20200201_153637055_HDR__R.jpg

There are still misc Knex pieces floating around my house. My boys are 16/12 so not so long ago.

A few years back, I was looking for "Tinker Toys" to try an experiment. To my disgust, there were none. As the 'speriment was top priority to me right then, "K'Nex" was the closest still available. The 'speriment didn't work out and I have no idea where the K'Nex parts are now.

Remember trying to do cranes with tinkertoys? Mine always collapsed.
Then I had a job at Pettibone working on 'articulating boom lifts' & large fork trucks.
Relax, I was only a draftsman, not a design engineer...

A few years back, I was looking for "Tinker Toys" to try an experiment. To my disgust, there were none. As the 'speriment was top priority to me right then, "K'Nex" was the closest still available. The 'speriment didn't work out and I have no idea where the K'Nex parts are now.

My mother bought a K-nex roller coaster and ferris wheel for my older son many years ago. I helped him build the roller coaster, it took 2 or 3 days (probably 8-10 hours total) and involved a lot of fit and refit to get everything just right so the cars didn't fly off the tracks. Ran the little coaster cars around it for about 30 minutes and then my son asked if we could build it into one of the other options.

No! WE can not. o_O

I'm still waiting for the engineering degree I feel I earned building that thing.

They are pretty neat, but way more work than Lego or Tinker Toy. Those kits were serious teen to adult levels of difficulty. My son was pretty skilled at building stuff for his age, but I can't imagine any 9 year old kid being able to build those. I think the age 9+ on the box simply indicates that at 9 they should be smart enough not to choke on the parts.

Grew up with Tinker Toy graduated to Erector. Before I was twelve my dad bought me an electric drill, opened a new world for me. Too dangerous for kids today. Industrial tool require years of training and certification. Latest I- phone with Minecraft is about as dangerous a thing as kids are allowed today. Oh yes I did buy Knex for my nephew about 20 yrs ago? He was not the norm for the time even, a hands on kind of guy.
Dave

Back