Anyone Interested in Hosting a Machine Repair Class?

Richard King

Bronze
Former Member
Hi Everyone. I am now recruiting "Hosts" for Machine Rebuilding and Way Scraping Classes. I have several people looking to attend a class in NY, OH, MI, SE USA, CO.

We have a couple of members who volunteered there hobby shop but we never got enough students to make the class happen in IA and WI.

What you need is a shop that can handle 8 to 10 people. You need to have a granite or a good cast iron 36" x 36" (aprox size) surface plate or a couple of smaller ones, a couple of heavy duty work benches, good lighting, bathroom, a small mill or lathe you might need some repair work done to it. We usually start the class on Fri and do Sat and Sun, 10 hour days. I teach you and the students. You can see pictures and comments on our forum I help moderate "Machine Rebuilding and Restoration".
The "hosts" receive the training for free. I donate part of the student fee's to the Hobby Machinist.
Please give it some thought about opening your shop for a class this fall , next winter or when ever.
Have a good hump day. Rich

I am in NJ. I have a friend with a shop big enough to handle students, and showing interest in having a meetup- I will talk to him about it.

Bernie

I'd love to host one here but still need to get my 20x20 shop in shape before it'd be suitable for holding a class. I still need to rewire it to get it a bit more reliable first. I only have a single 110V wire going to the building right now that always pops the breaker if anything else is running when my air compressor kicks on. When I get that straightened out I'll be contacting you ts see if there is any interest in doing a class here in the NW US states. I've got a mini mill (x2), mini lathe (7x14), an Atlas lathe (10x54) and a Bridgeport J-head with the small table to work on. There's a few granite shops around here as well and I plan on getting a big granite block soon.

I'd love to host one here but still need to get my 20x20 shop in shape before it'd be suitable for holding a class. I still need to rewire it to get it a bit more reliable first. I only have a single 110V wire going to the building right now that always pops the breaker if anything else is running when my air compressor kicks on. When I get that straightened out I'll be contacting you ts see if there is any interest in doing a class here in the NW US states. I've got a mini mill (x2), mini lathe (7x14), an Atlas lathe (10x54) and a Bridgeport J-head with the small table to work on. There's a few granite shops around here as well and I plan on getting a big granite block soon.

I'm just getting people thinking about it. If anyone is in the area of Montana or New Jersey, please PM these people to let them know your interested. The host has to help with the emails too. I have found out that we need to get out the word months ahead of it happening. Thanks :)

I'm just getting people thinking about it. If anyone is in the area of Montana or New Jersey, please PM these people to let them know your interested. The host has to help with the emails too. I have found out that we need to get out the word months ahead of it happening. Thanks :)

Ive already been thinking about it..... It would be great i have a friend that also wants to learn.

I dont really have alot of space at the moment, but have a friend in central fl. That may let us use some of his space.

im near clearwater fl. So a winter class would be great.

Thanks Richard for all you do.

John.

Ive already been thinking about it..... It would be great i have a friend that also wants to learn.

I dont really have alot of space at the moment, but have a friend in central fl. That may let us use some of his space.

im near clearwater fl. So a winter class would be great.

Thanks Richard for all you do.

John.

Thanks John for your kind words. I do get paid for the classes....lol... But the hosts are free. sort of, ask Tommy Brooks down in GA if it was free to him. ha ha...He did an awful lot extra, he had his daughter deliver or make lunches, cooked hamburgers....let me drive his SUV so I didn't need to rent a car....He is a wonderful guy and I can't thank him enough. I had to raise the prices a little and increase the number of students as I have been taking along more equipment and tools to really give a complete class and shipping it or mailing it can get expensive. A class in Florida in January or February sounds wonderful to me....I know many people retire there from MN. Or they are called Snowbirds...

When any of you get it figured out we can start to advertise it. I am pretty booked up until November or December. PM me and I will give you my email address. I think we should wait for spring to do one in Montana because I don't ski...lol
Thanks everyone. Rich

Sounds great Richard! I am dying to take your class- I will work on my friend! :)

Anyone else in NJ interested from here on HM?
I have a few friends that may be into it as well..

Bernie

I'd love to host one in MN sometime...

Alternatively, I'm good with Dayton MN.
My wife actually agreed to cook!

Summer 2013 is to late to plan for.
How about "winter break" after Christmas and before Spring 2014 classes begin?
Alternatively, Spring Break or anytime Summer 2014.

Can we make this an agenda item for the Group meeting in IGH MN late July?

Would like to get this on Minnesota/Wisconsin/Iowa/Dakota radar.

Daryl
MN

My shop is in Pittston PA..... 1 hour south of Binghamton NY and 1 hour east of where NY, NJ and PA join together.
I have a 2000 sq foot building with a bathroom, 3x4" surface plate and a 3x4" cast iron plate. I'm game .....

Back