Anyone here with a PM1236

I am getting ready to pull the trigger on a PM-1440E-LB 14″x40″ Precision Lathe. Anyone suggest not to or problems other than this post I would want to know about?
Hey my friend, I remain very happy with my PM1236, this isn't a PM issue in my book as all machines should be chcked when they are set up and adjustments made, this thing traveled 10's of thousands of miles before I received it, it works like a champ, but requires some adjustment to be all it can be. PM provides first class tech support, great folks. I did have some issues with my DRO's and PM took care of me, no complaints.

Glad I asked. I thought all PM were Taiwanese
I have been apprehensive about the VFD and trying to figure out thread turning but might be best options although I am really wanting that 2” bore
I have the Chinese machine and am satisfied with it. I have noted folks having issues with both Chinese and Taiwanese machines and I have 1 piece of equipment from Taiwan, I believe its all in the setup for accuracy; however, the fit and finish/parts quality on the Taiwanese machines is better and the price point reflects this.

I am looking for those on the forum who have a PM1236 (the chinese machine) and have had to tram the head stock, I am going to need to do this and I am looking for those that could provide a bit of information about the procedure.

If and when you do, you may want to swap the Allen head bolts holding the headstock to the bed with 12 point ARP bolts. You would thank yourself when you start torquing the bolts down, especially the ones in the back.

When I received my PM1440TV, there was no performance final check document that came with the lathe. Bottom line I had to align the bed.

I learned the lesson using 12 point ARP bolts when I did the aTrump 1236.

20230825_120938.jpg
20230825_120842.jpg

20230825_120416.jpg

Well, Thought I would get this done last weekend but I managed to get a MT3 Test Bar, could have sworn it said MT5, when I received the MT3 piece I thought Okay, I can use the MT3 to MT5 adapter that came with the lathe, Note that'll not work. I did check the MT3 Test Bar on my granite plate before putting it in the lathe and it was as it was suppose to be; but, once in the adapter in the lathe it was out of whack.

Talked to a friend and he said the actual MT5 test bar had a taper that is much longer to engage the spindle, said the adapter doesn't have enough engagement for the length of the test bar. SOOOO I ordered and have received the MT 5 Test bar and my friend was rignt, I recieved it today and the taper is easily 75% longer, I will work on it this weekend.

If and when you do, you may want to swap the Allen head bolts holding the headstock to the bed with 12 point ARP bolts. You would thank yourself when you start torquing the bolts down, especially the ones in the back.

When I received my PM1440TV, there was no performance final check document that came with the lathe. Bottom line I had to align the bed.

I learned the lesson using 12 point ARP bolts when I did the aTrump 1236.
The idea on the 12 points is a good idea, my lathe currently has allen head bolds, I will look into this. Thanks.

Well re-leveled the lathe and that took care of .0005" of the taper so I decided I would work the rest out using the head stock adjustment. I went to loosen the head stock bolts and found that 3 of them came pre-loosened, errrrr. Tighted the bolts down and another .0005 disappeared. I spent almost 3 hours loosening, adjusting and tightening before I got it to where I was happy with it; then made a test cut in a piece of 1018 8" long, if its cutting a tapper at this point its beyond the accuracy of my gauges. The vertical is good, lined up the tail stock and good to go.

Thanks for the good advice and help Gents.

Back