Anyone here use the Gear Making book by Robert D. Porter?

cazclocker

Purveyor of cheese.
Registered
Has anyone here read the book "The Clock & Watch Makers Guide to Gear Making...And Other Machines", and actually made the tools described in it? I borrowed the book because I was told it describes how to make a working clock using only a watchmaker's lathe and the standard 60-hole indexing plate built into the headstock. The problem I'm having is that the instructions seem completely inadequate. The first step is constructing a form tool grinding attachment - but the illustrations are too small to be useable, and give no dimensions, angles, or much else.
What am I missing?
...Doug

I also have the book and I share the confusion. I'd like to have an experienced person give (and illustrate) a detailed application of the procedures and tools. I'm planning to attend the NAWCC National in Milwaukee and hoping he'll be there to question. If so, I'll share.

I also have the book and I share the confusion. I'd like to have an experienced person give (and illustrate) a detailed application of the procedures and tools. I'm planning to attend the NAWCC National in Milwaukee and hoping he'll be there to question. If so, I'll share.

So maybe it's not all me after all! I'll admit, I'm new to machining and I'm even newer to clockbuilding, so part of me thought there's something I'm not seeing. But I've seen plenty of good plans to build all sorts of things, and they all show more detailed instructions than the book in question.

I'm glad you'll be at the Milwaukee National - I cannot make it at all. If you get a chance to interact with Mr. Porter, I'd be grateful to hear his answers to any questions you might put to him. In the meantime, the John Wilding books appear to be the best resource for guys like me. I'd just like to try my hand at building my own clock!

...Doug

Like you I'm a complete neophyte. If I glean any information at the national I'll pass it along.

The book you all have mentioned "The Clock & Watch Makers Guide to Gear Making...And Other Machines" does any one have a copy of the book?
I've looked on the internet and can not find it. Another question is by chance Mr Porter's first name be Bill or William?
Cheers
Nelson

Back